Style + Item of the Week

Item of the Week: Brightly Colored Pencil Skirts

With August approaching, and recess on the horizon (maybe, apologies to all of Capitol Hill), we start thinking about our fall work wardrobe.  But why?  Because the retail sales model was crafted in the 1800s when people ordered their clothes months in advance?  Because the Anniversary Sale was nothing by plaid shirts and booties?

No, this year, I’m fighting back.  I’ve got two more months of summer, and I’m taking them.  Colored pencil skirts are a great way to bring a burst of color

Colored pencil skirts are a great way to bring a burst of color into your work attire.  I love this hot pink skirt from Boden ($90).  For something in a softer pink, this English Factory blush skirt ($35) caught my eye.  Plus-size? This Eloquii flounce pencil ($80) is cute.

Not into pink?  My second favorite color is something in the green color family.  This bright NY & Co. skirt ($42) is a good place to start.  But for my money, the must have skirt is this teal Karen Millen skirt ($198).  So awesome.  Petite or Tall?  this waterfall skirt from NY & Co. ($21) is very pretty.

Do you wear colored skirts?  If so, what’s your go to hue?  Check in tomorrow for three ways to wear a colored skirt.

[featured image on the main page is taken from With Love from Kat.  If you’re not reading this blog, you should be.]

1. Alison says:

I have a cobalt blue pencil skirt from The Limited (RIP) that is surprisingly versatile. I reach for it far more often than I would have expected when I bought it.

July 24, 2017/Reply
  2. Niki says:

I love colored pencil skirts! I have purple, hunter green, cobalt blue, and mint green. I am assuming we are not counting navy, camel, or leopard print here, but I also have those.

I work in a business casual, emphasis on casual if my eyes are to be believed, so I mirror this with my Minnie pants. I have purple, orange, hot pink, hunter green, olive, and navy.

July 24, 2017/Reply
  3. Anna says:

Wearing a pink Boden skirt today! It’s at least three years old and has worn very well. Love Boden’s classic cut approach!

July 24, 2017/Reply
  4. MK says:

I have a cobalt skirt, which I love. I’d actually love recommendations for different color tops to wear with it, besides black and yellow.

July 24, 2017/Reply

I’d do a lighter blue. I’d also try a blush/tan and grey.

July 24, 2017/Reply
      • MK says:

Thank you!

July 25, 2017/Reply
  5. Jules says:

I pretty much only wear all the colors all the time. Sometimes I forget to invest in neutrals so I look like a crayloa box, lol 🙂
    Colors make me happy. Prints, too! Color+prints = even better!

July 24, 2017/Reply
    • Jamie says:

I really admire people who wear bright colors. For some reason, I’m so intimidated by them. Probably because I’m not sure how to pair them and my wardrobe is primarily neutrals so I’m nervous that the bright paces would stick out like sore thumbs. Keep on with your bad self! 😉

July 25, 2017/Reply
      • Anna says:

Maybe you can start with adding one pop of color to an outfit, like a bag or necklace? Sometimes you want pieces to stick out!

July 25, 2017/Reply
      • J says:

I wear very little color in general, partly as a taste thing and partly for purely practical reasons (central to my ability to get out the door in 15 minutes is being able to blindly grab from a heavily curated closet and know that whatever pieces come out will play well together). However, I do like subtle pops of color in my pencil skirts–a deep green here, a single cobalt stripe down the side of grey wool there, etc. I think there are alternative ways to inject some liveliness into pencils for those of us who will likely never been seen in a solid hot pink number; they just require a little extra searching.

July 25, 2017/Reply
    • Anna says:

Your fashion sense sounds like my approach to decorating. I joke that my apartment looks like it was designed by a hyperactive five year old. I LOVE bright colors and when I add one, then I feel like I need more of the same to balance it out. what started as yellows and greens has now turned into a tropical mix with turquoise, coral, gold, and hot pink.

July 25, 2017/Reply
  6. Kate says:

I agree with others that a cobalt skirt gets more use than you’d expect. This fall I want a kelly green one to wear with all my navy tops!

July 25, 2017/Reply
    • Jules says:

Love it! My old room used to look like that – ALL the colors. For my current apartment, I tried to keep it somewhat more toned down, but I DO miss the colors! So I added a glitter chevron gold backdrop behind my bed, haha 🙂

July 26, 2017/Reply
  7. SC says:

The idea of a bright yellow skirt is so appealing to me, but I doubt I would wear it — I hate to stick out. I’m still building a skirt wardrobe with the classics (pinstripes, gray, subtle plaid) but I definitely need purple and hunter green too!

July 25, 2017/Reply
  8. Jamie says:

What happened to the three-ways post? I was really looking forward to it.

July 27, 2017/Reply
    • S says:

Me too! I keep checking back to see if I missed it somewhere…

July 27, 2017/Reply
    • CeCi says:

I was hoping for it, too. One of my favorite features on the blog

July 27, 2017/Reply
  9. Jordan says:

Really hope you are still planning to do the three-ways post! I have a pink skirt that I never wear because I don’t know what to pair it with . Would love your advice!

July 27, 2017/Reply

I definitely am. I ended up traveling with very little notice and DID NOT want to half-ass this post.

July 27, 2017/Reply