+ Discussions

Help a Deserving Woman Pay For Law School

No, I don’t mean me.

Nyachom Chiek is a student at my law school.  She’s also a deeply inspiring person who believes passionately in human rights, who is the first woman from South Sudan to go to law school.

Because of the falling exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollars, and the fact that she is ineligible for U.S. student loans, Nyachom is struggling to pay her tuition.  Like many, she’s turned to crowd-funding to help rectify a problem not of her making.

While it’s strange to donate money to further a another woman’s educational aspirations when most of us are still paying for school or student loans ourselves, I want this blog to be a place where women support women in their goals and dreams.  If you can help and want to, I encourage you to donate.

I truly believe that Nyachom will be a great crusader for the rights of girls and women, and that she in uncommonly deserving of whatever generosity we can spare.

You can donate here.

1. RME says:

“However, I am sure there is a reason for me being in school, and that God will provide a way.”

Great, if God will provide a way then no need to beg people for money right?

January 24, 2016/Reply

The girl has faith in God, so she never gets to ask for help, ever? That’s a bit flip and disrespectful. There’s nothing wrong with believing your life might have purpose.

January 24, 2016/Reply
      • kittycatbob says:

RME might be reacting to how often people are asked to fund the stranger’s causes, whatever they might be. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that is what she meant.

• Kay says:

Oh JFC. Is this supposed to be witty? I, avowed atheist, think RME is a snarky witch and wish Nyachom the best of luck.

January 24, 2016/Reply
      • Jenn S. says:

Agreed, that remark was totally uncalled-for.

I’m pleased to see that Nyachom has almost reached her goal!

• Jess says:

As opposed to Americans who can get student loans? Kind of like begging, wouldn’t you say? Same concept, you still can’t afford college and hope to get money to put you through it. I’m with those who commented below, this woman is the FIRST FROM HER COUNTRY. Amazing, and she should be so proud of herself.

• Madeline says:

God often uses his followers to provide a way. His followers are humans that are on this same mess of a planet that everyone else is on! Believing in God doesn’t mean you stop working for anything and wait for things to fall in your lap. Charity is the cornerstone of the Christian faith. Also, I don’t see Nyachom begging people for money. Asking for help is admirable in my eyes. A little less “I’ve got it all together” and a little more “I’m a human and here are my struggles” could make the world a better place.

2. td says:

You’re an inspiration.

January 24, 2016/Reply
  3. Sara says:

“I want this blog to be a place where women support women in their goals and dreams”. I believe that’s the retort to your rhetorical question, RME.

Belle, thanks for contuing to post articles and issues that are important for smart, modern women.

January 24, 2016/Reply
  4. Michelle says:

Thanks for featuring this – I donated and shared!

5. Megan says:

Thanks for sharing a great story!

6. Wanda says:

I love this blog even more. Thank you for inspiring women to support women.

7. KC says:

I’m a member of a women’s educational organization called PEO–our organization has a number of grants, scholarships, and loans available for women pursuing all levels of education. There is a specific scholarship of up to $10,000 for women from countries outside the United States who are pursuing graduate studies in the U.S. Nyachom looks like a really good candidate. Information is here: https://www.peointernational.org/about-peo-international-peace-scholarship-ips. This wouldn’t be a fast solution, as it seems time is of the essence, but it might make a difference down the road. Email me if she’s interested in looking into this–a local PEO chapter in Washington might make the most sense for a chapter sponsor, but I can connect her to one.

• Gabrielle says:

KC – I’m a PEO as well. I second your suggestions.

• kittycatbob says:

My grandmother and mother have been PEOs for decades and love the organization. It’s a great program and I’d love to join.

January 25, 2016/Reply

Thanks, KC. I don’t know if Nyachom reads here, so I’ll email this to her.

8. LP says:

Such a great cause. I am an attorney myself, and I think Nyachom’s passion for ending human trafficking and child prostitution is inspiring. I was happy to help and share with my coworkers!

9. Jenn S. says:

Thanks for sharing Ms. Chiek’s cause, Belle. It’s wonderful to see other women being uplifted. What a wonderful world we would live in if everyone was so thoughtful. 🙂

10. Leila says:

Thanks for sharing Belle. Happy to say I donated! It’s called the American Dream, not the American Debt. It’s not right. My dad came here from another country to go to school too. As for our “friend” @RMK… well, that’s how my God provides. Through, in, and with all of us.

11. AR says:

I just donated as well and want to thank you for sharing the opportunity to support another woman’s pursuits in the legal field.

12. PS says:

Always wonderful to see another woman from a developing country do everything she can to better herself and those around her. I donated and wish her the best of luck!

13. TLA says: