Yesterday, I found some many interesting articles on the web that I realized I had enough for two Weekly Reading columns. So I figured, why not?
Recently, I took three days when I didn’t talk to anyone on the phone, respond to any texts or turn on my computer. It was great. I love the Interwebs and technology, but sometimes you forget that we once lived without any of these things. It was kind of liberating to just experience what was happening around me for a change.
1) MTV (yes, that MTV) conducted a comprehensive study on millennials and race that examines attitudes, tolerance, bias and diversity from the perspective of the rising generation. Slate has a summary that outlines how nearly 3/4 of respondents believe their generation is “post-racial,” but that 80-percent aren’t comfortable talking about race.
The Slate analysis concludes, “The irony of this survey [is]: A generation that hates racism but chooses color blindness is a generation that, through its neglect, comes to perpetuate it.” Fascinating.
2) I was about to give up on a small end table for my “study chair” after the fourth thrift store visit, but then I found this accordion-style table at Urban Outfitters and had to have it.
3) Have some time to kill? The Atlantic has a list of 2013’s 100 Best Non-Fiction Pieces to keep you busy, entertained and informed until the 2014 list comes out next May.
4) Three words: Marchesa Wedding Gown.
5) One of the most talked about articles on Buzzfeed right now is a piece about the opening of the 9/11 museum written by the sister of a woman killed in the WTC attack. It’s heartbreaking, well-written and thought-provoking.
7) The tale of Huguette Clark is as tragic as it is riveting. The latest article on the life of the billionaire recluse gives you a peek inside the mansions she eschewed to spend her golden years in a New York City hospital.
9) Who What Wear has an article on the 9 current trends that have staying power. I completely agree about black and white blouses, especially with beauties like this 3.1 Phillip Lim Splatter Top out there.
10) Walking around in the heat, in a dress has caused some mild inner thigh chafing. Both painful and somewhat embarrassing. A friend recommend this TRISLIDE anti-chafe spray that cyclists use, and it’s a lifesaver.