Style

The Perfect Pencil Search Continues

_8770525

Bailey 44 Style Me Knit Pencil ($130)

Since the J.Crew pencil skirts continue to go down hill in quality and fit (I love paying to have a new liner put in a three-month-old skirt), I’ve been exploring other options.  I’ve searched high and low, and tried on skirts in every imaginable price-point.  I liked this Rauol skirt (under-$50), but this soft, knit Bailey 44 skirt is my new favorite.

The feel of the material is really nice.  I also like the thickness of the material.  My only complaint is that I have to wear smooth undergarments or Spanx to avoid VPL, a lace Hanky Panky really isn’t an option.

Do you have a favorite pencil skirt?  If so, leave the brand and style in the comments.

1. Sara says:

This may sound very soccer-mom of me and I almost don’t care, but JC Penney’s Worthington pencil skirts are actually made very well for a good price. I have a couple of them and I wear them often. They are usually within the $30 range, they have a range of size options, and I have yet to have one fall apart on me. The disadvantage is that they are more boxy and don’t have that fluted sleekness that that follow your leg line through. But for that price, you can afford a tailor to take it in a little.

• Belle from OK says:

My best pencil skirt is also a Worthington skirt from JCPenney. I’ve had it for several years, and it’s held up very well.

• A says:

I like JCPenney’s Worthington pencil skirts as well. The quality is surprisingly good, and they work well for a pear shape.

2. JEB says:

Halogen seamed pencil skirts from Nordstrom are the best; although, they do run about a size large.

• Kate M says:

I’ll second that; I love the thickness of the material and I wear them year-round. I find that, as a curvy person, my regular size fits fairly well…sizing down fits, but it’s a bit too much curve for work.

• Ashley says:

I’ll third this;I love Halogen’s pencil skirts. I also think they run a size large but I find the next size down to be too tight. So I stick with the larger size and get it taken in.

• ww says:

Always Halogen — for cost and it.

• ww says:

*fit

• Gabrielle says:

I completely agree, Halogen seamed pencil skirts from Nordstrom are the way to go! And they go on sale at Nordsrom’s Rack, or at the stores even. I’ve paid about $30 for my three.

• elz says:

Halogen! They are my fave. I have them in almost every color.

• R says:

Thanks for the recommendation! I just picked up one of their pencil skirts for the first time, and the quality is amazing.

March 4, 2014/Reply
  3. jen says:

After having multiple fails with the usual suspects (BR, Ann Taylor, JCrew, ect.)I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Merona skirts from Target. They usually hover around $20, they refresh the colors each season, and have held up way longer than better brands.

• cynthiaw says:

I love the Merona pencils and at that price, I don’t mind grabbing a trendy print or color that might only last a season. I’ve also received more compliments on my Merona prints than I have on any other pencil skirt I own.

• AmandaaPete says:

I, too, love the Merona pencil skirts from Target. They are well made and last from season to season, and when I need to replace one, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg! They are always lined and fit me very well right off the rack! The same goes for me as the above commenter in regards to compliments… people always love the prints!

• Maggie says:

I like the darker colors of Merona pencil skirts, but the lighter versions tend to wrinkle up on me pretty badly!

• SLG says:

My Merona pencil skirts tend to stretch out across the derriere pretty quickly. But for the price (I got one for $8 recently), I don’t really care! I wear them once, wash them (to get the shape back), and replace them when they wear out.

February 27, 2014/Reply
  4. M says:

Agreed about the Halogen skirts! They’re the best and you can never go wrong with Nordstrom.

5. Meaghan says:

I love the Halogen skirts from Nordstrom!

6. Anna Dear says:

My favorite pencil was purchased at Express almost 5 years ago when I was building my professional wardrobe. Besides losing the hook of the hook & eye closure at some point, it’s held up beautifully and is my go to for days that I’m not in a suit.

7. J says:

I have an Apt 9 pencil skirt from Kohls that I wear constantly. It has held up for at least 7-8 years. It doesn’t have a lining though.

8. Mo says:

Belle, does the waistband of this have any “give” or is it reinforced? I never understood why the halogen skirts have stretch everywhere but the waistband.

9. Lauren says:

Your post is timely as I’ve been on the search for a good black pencil skirt and never thought of Bailey 44. I love their stretch cotton fabrics that they use. I haven’t bought a J.Crew pencil in awhile but will say that my wool ones have held up much better than their cotton stretch pencils. My cotton pencil skirt’s hem fell out within 10 wears. Sad story!

• Hilary says:

Agreed on the wool J Crew skirts holding up a lot better than the cotton. I don’t think I’ll be purchasing any cotton ones from there again!

February 27, 2014/Reply
  10. Allie says:

My favorite pencil skirt is one I purchased from Express about 2 years ago. The only thing I have had to fix is the back slit seam – which was about a $5 fix at ZIPS.

Though I cannot speak to the same quality of skirts that they offer today, but I know that the one I have has held up remarkably well. It is lined, beautifully seamed, and truly a classic piece.

11. BigDHealthcare says:

My favorites are Ann Taylor’s wool pencil skirts. They last forever, have secure lining and are relatively easy to find on sale.

12. DontBlameTheKids says:

DvF works well for me. I like the thickness and stretch of the knit, but size up because the fabric is body-con. Pricey, but they always go on sale eventually.

13. CE says:

Great find at Loft: https://www.loft.com/matte-stretch-twill-pencil-skirt-/329909?colorExplode=false&skuId=15478290&catid=cat640038&productPageType=search&defaultColor=6600

And it’s machine washable!

14. Bee says:

Mango – currently loving their camel pencil skirt.

February 27, 2014/Reply
  15. Anna Belle says:

I’ve sworn by NY&Company for years, but only when they make the skirts out of a thicker stretch material (like ponte – maybe it is ponte?). The cut is flattering too. They are not lined, but the thick fabric is enough for me. Plus, because they are thick, I usually only wear them in cooler weather with tights.
    (But be warned, their “suit” skirt are too thin and wrinkly for me.)

February 27, 2014/Reply
  16. Kara says:

I really love Boden’s pencil skirts. Their “Modern Pencil,” “Wow Pencil” and “Ponte Pencil” are all on my spring wishlist. I already have two. My other favorite pencil is a thick cotton black pencil from the LOFT. I bought it last spring. It may be worth a visit, especially during their many sales.

February 27, 2014/Reply