Style + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle: Affordable Sweater Dresses

Hi Belle,

Sweater dresses are my fall weekend clothing of choice.  I could use a few new ones in the rotation.  (Please help!)  My budget in is $175ish or less per dress.  Can’t want to see what you pick.

Sincerely, Kaiya

I love sweater dresses.  They are a great piece for casual work days or for weekend wear.  They are also a great choice for casual holiday parties and dinners.  Add a bit of jewelry, some cool boots, and you’re ready to go.  Here are the best pieces I found.

Snip20151102_1

Anthropologie Cowl-Neck Sweater Dress ($158, also in navy)

Snip20151102_4

Boucle Shift Dress ($98)

Snip20151102_2

Chevron Fit & Flare Dress ($118, four colors)

I also like this similarly styled dress in berry or black.

Snip20151102_5

Danny & Nicole Stripe Dress ($49)

Snip20151102_3

Colorblock A-Line Sweater Dress ($98)

Snip20151102_6

Petite Faux Leather Trim Sweater Dress ($89, also in misses)

Snip20151102_7

Ribbed Fit and Flare Sweater Dress ($89)

1. Mo says:

I am a huge fan of this one from Asos: https://www.asos.com//Vila/Vila-V-Neck-Jumper-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5706804

November 3, 2015/Reply
  2. Wendy says:

Can you advise what store the Chevron Fit and Flare dress is at? Your links are always blocked on my work pc. thanks

November 3, 2015/Reply

Nordstrom.

November 3, 2015/Reply
  3. Lindsay says:

Athleta has a ton of awesome, comfortable sweater dresses. My wardrobe is basically Athleta sweater dresses in the winter, Athleta t-shirt dresses in the summer. Most dresses can be dressed up or down, too. They also do free returns if you order online, including off-season items on sale. I bought three sweater dresses on sale this summer for ~$100 total. It was great delayed gratification when it was finally cool enough to wear them.

November 3, 2015/Reply
    • Randi says:

I was about to suggest the Athleta sweater dresses too. They have some super cute ones this season!

November 4, 2015/Reply
  4. Samantha says:

How would you style the red sweater dress? I bought one a few years ago and love it, but am at a loss for what shoes and tights to pair with it without looking like Mrs. Claus.

November 3, 2015/Reply
  5. C says:

Any tips on keeping sweater dresses from clinging to your tights? I have an a-line one that I love, but it sticks to my tights and I have to fight an all day battle to stay appropriate!

November 3, 2015/Reply
  6. Missjenhend says:

@c do you wear a full body slip under your dress? Also if you clip a safety pin on the hem of the slip there is less static.

November 3, 2015/Reply
  7. Monica says:

Good reminder, I picked up a cheap Old Navy sweater dress last year, but decided I didn’t like it after a few wears. Just found a nice one at Nordstroms for this year. Hopefully it wears better.

November 4, 2015/Reply