Style + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle: Eight Work Dresses Under-$175

Dear Belle,

I just started my first “real job,” and while I’m really excited, I also can’t find dresses that I like. All the ones I find are either too short or look really cheap.  Can you help me find a few for work that cost under-$175?  My office is a little conservative, but not suits every day kind of conservative.  And I’d love to find some sleeved dresses.

Love your blog! Hilary

Dresses with sleeves–that aren’t too short or too tight–should be on every woman’s hit list.  A sleeved dress is the perfect solution to the “closet full of nothing to wear” because it’s one piece, and it doesn’t need much sprucing up.  Here are a few that caught my eye.


Ava & Aiden Ponte V-Neck Dress ($69)


Preston & York Aurelia Dress ($89)


Boden Westminster Dress ($103, petite and tall)


Limited Wrap Dress ($89)


Antonio Melani Benny Dress ($159)


ASOS Roll Neck Pleated Dress ($91)


Boden Annie Dress ($126, petite and tall)

*I own this dress.  I love it.  It has a little slip in the skirt to keep it appropriate, and it is so comfy.


Anne Klein Women’s Short Sleeve Dress ($129)

 Here are a couple of options for plus-size ladies.


Julia Jordan Cap Sleeve Dress ($95)

*I know I put up this dress yesterday, but it’s so great, let’s go for twice.


Jessica Howard 3/4 Sleeve Dress ($99)

Leave a Reply to EAH · cancel comment


  1. Addie says:

    Most of my favorite dresses, particularly the ones with sleeves, came from Dress Barn surprisingly enough. And all were between $40 and $60.

    May 21, 2015/Reply
  2. SN says:

    Some pointers on tailoring would be helpful. Maybe a whole post.

    May 21, 2015/Reply
    • Kate says:

      I’d also love to hear your tips on tailoring. What to ask for? How to know where to go?

      May 22, 2015/Reply
  3. Curvy CEO says:

    These are all fab! I love, love, love dresses because you simply toss it on, add an accessory or two and you’re done!

    May 21, 2015/Reply
  4. EAH says:

    The Boden Westminster dress is great I just bought it and wore it for the first time this week! It’s lined so its good for a well air conditioned office. Boden also has a lot of dress with sleeves; I like the Lindsey dress too.

    May 21, 2015/Reply
    • Katherine says:

      2nd this — I’m way more comfortable in dresses than suits for work, and 95% of my work dresses are Boden (and the other 5% I WISH were Boden!)

      May 22, 2015/Reply
  5. Amanda says:

    Lands End makes some great ponte dresses. Snag a couple when they’re have a sale for $35 a pop. So comfy, plus pockets!

    May 21, 2015/Reply
    • Amanda says:

      oh, and they have sleeved versions as well.

      May 21, 2015/Reply
  6. Erica says:

    What is your experience with the sizing for boden? I think a lot of their things are cute, but I can’t tell if they’ve fallen for the vanity sizing that so many American brands to now.

    May 22, 2015/Reply
    • Belle says:

      I take my usual size.

      May 22, 2015/Reply
    • EAH says:

      They offer garment measurements for every size.

      May 23, 2015/Reply