Belle’s Workday Reading: February 18, 2015
Feb 18, 2015
1) Justine Sacco wrote a tweet that brought on the full fury of the Interwebs and tore her life apart. One year later, she tells the Gawker reporter whose retweet started it all that she has one simple hope: “Someday you’ll Google me and my LinkedIn will be the first thing that pops up.”
2) So you need a work tote for a big interview, but you can’t afford what you really want, what do you do? You can purchase this sleek Aldo bag for under-$50. Or you can rent an appropriate bag from Kate Spade for an extra boost of confidence.
4) Caroline Issa, street style icon, designed a collection exclusively for Nordstrom. This printed cashmere cardigan is sublime, and I love the clean lines on this black cocoon dress. To quote Ferris Bueller, “If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”
5) The Vault Files shares the essentials she keeps in her handbag. I always have several pouches full of indispensable items like Purell, Advil, etc. And I never go anywhere without a backup iPhone battery.
6) For an interview, you should always bring extra copies of your writing sample, resume, etc. But how do you transport them undamaged? In a chic padfolio. Also, don’t forget business cards kept in a sleek, inexpensive card wallet or metal case.
7) Starting a new job? More has tips on how to succeed in your first 90 days. Forbes also covers how to develop a game plan for success and discusses the STUDY method for achieving your goals.
8) New spring styles from The Limited’s Olivia Pope-inspired collection. The jackets are really where it’s at. This trench cape is gorgeous. This tweed jacket in tan or blush will jazz up a pair of boring trousers. And don’t miss fabulously mod swing coat.
9) Fast Company has an interesting piece on how to handle emotional situations while at work. Or you can just follow Kelly Cutrone’s advice, “If you have to cry, go outside.”
11) If you’re planning to switch career tracks, the co-founder of LinkedIn has some good advice for making the jump.
12) Need nylons for your interview? I love the Donna Karan Nudes sheer collection. If you’re looking for shapewear, I find a shaping slip to be more comfortable than the shorts. And if you’re worried about VPL, the Hanky Panky Bare thong or boyshort guarantees no visible lines.
*image found here.