Style

Seven Reasons Why Banana Republic is Killing It

Banana Republic is experiencing a style rebirth.  While the quality is not what it once was (all the mid-price retailers are on the downslope where quality is concerned), I’ve capitalized on several 40%-off sales this fall and been happy with every single purchase.  Here are a few of the pieces from their current line that caught my eye.

Chic Coats

cn9030188

Heritage Sweater Sleeve Duffle Coat ($275)

This coat is so chic it hurts.  It’s the perfect thing to finish out this season and wear next winter.  I also love this textured blue coat with a cocoon shape.

Sleek Skirts

cn9032420

Black Jersey Pencil Skirt ($79 + 50%-off with code BRYOU)

This ruched pencil skirt is perfect for evening events, or wear it with a slouchy tee on the weekends.  Looking for something for work?  This slightly long Sloan-fit skirt is fantastic.

Flirty Dresses

cn9055524

Printed Crepe Cutout Dress ($150 + 50%-off with code BRYOU)

This breezy cocktail dress will be in my closet by week’s end, and I am so excited.  It’s fun, flirty, and perfect with a black jacket.  For a sleeker choice, do not miss the neckline on this black sheath dress.

All-Purpose Satchels

cn8992628

Hartford Leather Satchel ($250)

This bag is a storage dream.  It has two exterior pockets, internal storage, and pockets for cell phones and coins.  The cross body strap is always appreciated.

Modern Blouses

cn9042185

Pieced Silk Blouse ($98)

The soft hue of this blouse is sublime.  It also comes in black or ivory.  It’s a bit more sheer than I would like, but that’s what camisoles are for.  I also like this long silk tunic to wear over skinny jeans.

Unique, Professional Shoes

cn9013351

Makayla Mid-Heel Pump ($128)

This might be the ideal spring/summer shoe.  This snakeskin pump is pure perfection.  Prefer a flat?  This Amirah flat mixes black and a brushstroke print for a fantastic casual/business casual shoe.

Versatile Work Dresses

cn8687491

Ruched Grey Dress ($110)

I bought this dress for my brother’s girlfriend, who is a teacher.  If you buy it in your regular size, it’s going to be a little va-va-voom.  Go up a size for a work appropriate choice.  For another work option, I like the black and white geometric print on this Gemma wrap dress.

1. Stephanie says:

I tried on the printed crepe cutout dress. Would be great for cocktails abut not work. Too short and the hem dips in the front, which has an odd and unflattering effect when coupled with the double layer top thing. Fabric was gorgeous, though, so it’s a shame. I personally have no need for cocktail dresses that can’t also go to work, and I think the look is too young for me anyway.

January 27, 2015/Reply

Too short for work, for sure. I didn’t find it to young for me at 32, but I had to do a really fun shoe and a blazer to bring it up a bit.

January 27, 2015/Reply
      • Stephanie says:

In the photo it’s sort of obvious that it’s not for work, but in person it wasn’t as much so that’s the only reason I tried it on. I’m a (slim and young looking) 42, but yea, short foofy skirts just aren’t going to work for me anymore. You wake up one day and go, it just needs to be almost to the knee, I don’t know why.

January 27, 2015/Reply
  2. Lenore says:

Hmm… I can’t say I’ve been totally wowed by Banana Republic lately. I recently bought two suits and the wool is so thin it feels like crepe paper. And I just bought a long cardigan that is so ill-fitting it is unwearable. The quality just isn’t there.

January 27, 2015/Reply
  3. lcris says:

I love BR. My problem is that many of their clothes’ care are dry clean. After I moved to a small town where the service is either awful or way more expensive than in the big city, dry clean is no longer an option for me.

January 27, 2015/Reply
  4. Nora says:

I have that long Sloan skirt and it’s AMAZING. Equally comfortable and flattering. It’s a shame it only comes in black.

January 28, 2015/Reply
  5. Donna E says:

I bought a Navy/White patterned Gemma wrap dress – and the Navy looks washed out and pilled 3 months later. So much so that I don’t wear it anymore. The solid color Gemma didn’t do that – so I’m not sure why only the print version was so disappointing.

January 28, 2015/Reply
  6. Emme says:

Ah, BR. I wish I could purchase some of these beautiful items, but alas, no plus sizes. I also find it super frustrating that they can have extended sizes for petite and tall, but not produce an XXL here and there.

January 28, 2015/Reply
    • Katarina says:

totally agree with you. They would get so much of my money.

January 29, 2015/Reply
  7. Jennifer D says:

BR is killing it in the jewelry department too. I go to J.Crew for my statement pieces, but rely on BR as a backup for rings and stud earrings. The Sparkle Stud Earrings are so cute. Not everything is online – I’ve gotten a few in-store only items that I love. I’ve also picked up a few rose gold pieces. With BR’s promotions, I can try out the trend in an affordable way.

January 28, 2015/Reply
  8. M says:

I was equally excited about their snakeskin pump. Alas, in person, the color is not the lovely grey pictured, but rather a cream/black combo. Some may prefer that, but I was super disappointed.

January 28, 2015/Reply
    • M says:

I should add that the cream color has a yellow tone (at least on the pair I received), which is the main thing I disliked about it. Black/white I could work with, but the yellowy color looks odd.

January 28, 2015/Reply