Belle’s Workday Reading: December 10, 2014
Dec 10, 2014
At the end of every year, I write down five nouns that describe me and see how they change from year-to-year. I got the idea from the late, great Nora Ephron. I don’t use family titles like daughter, sister, etc. because those things don’t change.
Last year, the list was Christian, Montanan, Politico, Writer, Washingtonian. It’s amazing what changes in a year both personally and professionally. This year’s list is Christian, Montanan, Law Student, Writer, Volunteer. I wonder what it will be next year?
1) Mashable has a list of 35 career goals to perfect before your 35. These are achievable, but essential items like building a network, knowing your weaknesses, and refining your “elevator pitch” No matter where you are in your career, pick one or two you haven’t perfected and get started.
2) This gorgeous deep burgundy bag from Target looks much more expensive than its $40 price. That’s probably why it’s been on my mind since I saw it in August. So gorgeous.
3) Do you need to be outgoing to be an effective manager? Lifehacker has tips on how to be a good manager if you’re shy.
4) This Tory Burch tweed jacket is perfect for any season. It’s also 50%-off. I plan to wear it with a navy skirt in the fall and white trousers in the summer. TB also offers a similar jacket in black that is also spectacular.
5) LinkedIn has the 40 commonly misused words and how to use them correctly. Always good for review.
6) Need a holiday gift for the technophile in your life? This Power Cord Ultra-Thin Battery is on my wish list. It’s so sleek and functional; it’s perfect. This wireless speaker from ban.do is whimsical, under-$50, and great for use in small spaces.
7) Once you settle into a new job , you may experience a sense of boredom and require more challenging work. This is the time to start asking for more work. The Seattle Times has some good tips on how to ask your boss for more responsibility.
8) H&M has some great blouses right now. This ivory blouse with a black bib is incredibly chic and versatile. I love the geometric lace details on this short-sleeve blouse. And if you’re looking for a chic, festive top to wear to your office holiday party, this red lace blouse is a must (also in ivory).
9) Do you spend your lunch break at your desk working? Being a productive employee may necessitate taking a moment for yourself every day. Here are some tips on making the most of your lunch break.
10) We had an under-$50 bag above, so what about an inexpensive shoe? These super-chic $35 Liz Claiborne heels come in wine, navy, grey, or black suede. I loved them so much, I bought two pair (wine and grey).
11) It’s finals time again. I am exhausted. To keep from looking like death warmed over, I use Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal Light. It just smooths out all of the dullness, sallowness, and imperfections. My Mom and I call it “Miracle Blurring Powder.” Need a cheaper dupe? The Interwebs say Wet n’ Wild Reserve Your Cabana is a good substitute.
image found here.