Belle’s Weekly Reading: August 8, 2014
Aug 8, 2014
1) I would love to see more diversity in race and body type on retail websites. But why, when people decide a female model to be “too skinny” or possessing an “unrealistic” body type, do they call the model awful names?
Instead, let’s start encouraging Gap and other retailers to feature a wider range of models, as opposed to sowing seeds of hate and calling a complete stranger “skeletor.” Business practices are fair game, body-shaming shouldn’t be.
3) A writer details her experience with stalking and how complicated laws still make it hard for victims to get justice and seek safety, even in their own homes. It seems impossible that 25 years after Rebecca Schaeffer was murdered, the law still isn’t working like it should.
4) This Zara shopper has a cool shape and would be a great work bag, especially for under-$60.
5) The eyes of the world are on the war between Hamas and Israel. The French newspaper Le Monde offers an all facts history of the conflict and a primer on the topography and boundaries of Gaza.
6) Looking for a cool pair of sandals to finish out the summer? Anthropologie’s sale section has you covered. These Muyil slides are great with snakeskin and tan. I usually wear brown sandals, but these $40, black Hacienda sandals are right up my alley. But my favorite pair are these $25 silver-beaded slides.
7) This 101-year-old, Long Island man has done the same job for 84 years–an incredible story of work ethic and weather.
8) I love my olive-green utility jacket. If you want one of your own, Old Navy has one of the best-looking ones on the market for $40. They also have a utility vest. And the jacket comes in plus-size.
9) The Pope offers 10 Tips for a Happy Life.
10) Short-sleeved wrap dresses were my August-recess fall back. They’re great for casual workdays, brunches and drinks with friends. I love this black-and-white print one from Maggy London. I also love this shell-pink dress from French Connection (though it needs a belt).
11) The Ice Bucket Challenge is supposed to be raising awareness for ALS by asking celebs to pour buckets of cold water on their heads or make a donation to charity. I don’t think it’s working since I’ve heard of the Challenge several times and didn’t know until yesterday that it was supporting ALS.
12) This Blank vegan leather and ponte drape jacket is sublime. I can’t believe it’s only $98.