1) GoldieBlox is a company that makes toys for girls who like building things with their hands. Their commercial hits back at the idea that girls only want to play with tea sets and dolls with a video that is as clever and funny, as it is empowering.
2) I found two absolutely fantastic faux-wrap dresses while searching for another post. This vibrant green Michael Kors dress is sublime, and just $120. And this bold purple Jones New York dress ($118) has a wide cinch with gold details on the sash.
3) Recovering Shopaholic provides a needed “attitude adjustment” for all the women who think that tailoring is nothing but an expensive hassle. Her comprehensive guide to what alterations can be done, what they might cost and why they are necessary if you want to look your best, is one of the greatest blog posts I have ever read.
4) Only Valentino could make a dress that costs as much as my freshman tuition seem worth the price. Just gorgeous.
5) Refinery29 offers a tutorial on how to save money with “sneaky” little changes that help you build your nest egg.
6) I recently went on a little shopping spree at Zara, and wound up with some awesome pieces. Here are the winners:
This black wool bustier runs small but looks amazing under a suit jacket. This peplum button-up blouse is a dream, but you will need a tank underneath. The printed jacquard scarf from Monday’s 10th Commandment is a must have if you love voluminous neckwear. And this backless dress with short sleeves needed hemming, but will be perfect for understated holiday parties.
7) Ever wonder how the folks at The Onion come up with all those funny headlines? This American Life has a look behind the scenes at the jokes that make the funny papers and the gags that fall flat.
9) E. Jean, the advice columnist at Elle, answers the question, “What is the Girl Code?”
10) I’m in search of a stylish pair of gloves. I have my eye on these elegant Tory Burch leather gloves with cable knit accents. In the under-$50 category, these chic herringbone Ralph Lauren gloves and these touch-screen friendly quilted gloves also caught my eye.
11) And last, but by no means least, for all of the women who watched Martha Stewart cook perfect meals and create beautiful crafts and thought, “I’ll never be as good as that,” finally, some revenge. One look at Martha’s Instagram pics and you’ll never feel bad about a fallen soufflé again.