+ Happy Hour

Happy Hour: Blood and Sand

A few months back, Virginia and I headed to a Johnnie Walker tasting at Againn.  I was instantly taken with a cocktail called, “Blood and Sand.”  So I was extremely excited to see the recipe in the newspaper this week under the heading, Spooky Halloween Cocktails.

image from Cheery Herring

Blood and Sand

Recipe from BANK Bar and Cafe in Napa, Calif.

Ice

3/4 ounce Johnnie Walker Black scotch

3/4 ounce cherry liqueur

3/4 ounce sweet vermouth

3/4 ounce orange juice

1 thin strip orange zest

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the scotch, cherry liqueur, vermouth and orange juice. Strain into a martini glass, then garnish with the strip of zest.

Ponte Pleated Bodycon Dress (TopShop, $95)

This is a great dress for those who need to define a waistline or distract from a not so perfect one.  And since it’s not satin or silk, you could also wear it to the office with a camel blazer or a navy cardi and a belt.

The dress also comes in camel and teal.

1. e says:

I actually just bought this dress for a wedding next weekend. I'm a little stuck on what color tights/shoes to wear – black and black seems a bit heavy. Would grey work? Or should I just go black pattenered tights?

October 28, 2011/Reply
  2. Ms. B says:

That dress color!!!! Fabulous. And the line, the drape, the pleat…dream.

October 28, 2011/Reply
  3. Belle says:

e- Grey works. Or, if the wedding is indoors, you could do a light spray tan on the legs and nude-to-you heels.

October 28, 2011/Reply
  4. Anne says:

I have a similar red dress that I wore over the summer with a black silk cardi and black slingbacks.

I'd love to carry it into winter the with suggested navy cardi and camel blazer – but what to wear on the bottom in cold winter weather? What color tights and boots would look right with each?

Speak very slowly, I'm a complete style moron. That's why I'm here most days.

October 29, 2011/Reply
  5. Belle says:

With both the camel and the navy, I would find a pair of burgundy tights that match the color of the dress with either brown or cognac boots. I'd have to see it, but that's my instinct.

October 29, 2011/Reply
  6. Anne says:

I've ordered the sweater and jacket – my (dark) brown boots are Frye Jane. I may send a picture when it all arrives.

Thanks, Belle.

October 29, 2011/Reply
  7. Pingback: Essential Cocktail Recipes: 30 Best Whiskey Drinks | HiConsumption

8. Pingback: AMP #LiquidMix: Blood and Sand « 103.3 AMP RADIO

contact the edit

For reader queries and PR inquiries, please send over an email.