Features

Out of Office: Hitting a Wall

I’m a big believer that our weaknesses are drawn from the same pool as our strengths.  I tend to take on a lot, because I like to do a lot, but I don’t always do a good job of knowing when to say ‘enough’.

The past three weeks, I have been struggling through some health issues and a job change.  And it’s been like watching a slow-moving car crash.  You know that it’s coming, but you don’t know how to stop it.  I need a few days to catch up at my professional job, but I also need a few days to rest my body and prepare for a surgery I’m having next week.

Luckily, August is the perfect time to take a break.  So I’m off from Capitol Hill Style for the remainder of this week, and next week, expect one post per day.

xo, Abra

1. Evelyn says:

Take care of yourself, Abra. And if you need to post even less, I am sure we will all understand.

August 19, 2021/Reply
  2. jules says:

Wishing you the best!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  3. Nadine says:

Best wishes!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  4. Suz says:

Take as much time as you need. We will be here when you come back!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  5. TheLOOP says:

Take care and sending you good vibes for everything!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  6. BeTsy says:

Glad you are taking care of yourself!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  7. NK says:

Take good care of yourself!

August 19, 2021/Reply
  8. Erin says:

If posting once a day feels good/right for you, or in control, etc., then do it. But if it feels like a chore or an obligation, please give yourself permission to NOT post and just focus on yourself for however long you need. You’ve created this very special corner of the internet and all us followers will miss hearing from you, but I hope I speak for everyone when I say we care more about your wellness than the pace of content.

August 19, 2021/Reply
  9. Sierra Delta says:

Abra, please take all the time you need, even if it means you don’t post a thing for the rest of the month. It feels nowadays as if everyone I know is in the same boat, struggling to reconcile where we are now with who and what we were in 2019. I’m concerned that I won’t recognize myself post-pandemic. I worry that the changes I’ve grappled with making will erode my ability to feel compassion and empathy, so I’m trying to learn to give myself space and grace in the meantime, and I’m working on extending that to everyone I know, whether we’ve met in person or in an online community. Best of luck with the speed bumps in your road ahead.

August 19, 2021/Reply
  10. Liz says:

Best wishes with everything!

August 20, 2021/Reply
  11. Neema says:

I wish you well with your health and all the transitions you’re facing.

August 20, 2021/Reply
  12. Meg says:

Sending you all of the good vibes from Missouri! Take all the time you need, we’ll be here cheering you on! <3

August 20, 2021/Reply
  13. Megan says:

I hope that your surgery goes well, Abra, and that you are able to get some rest!

August 20, 2021/Reply
  14. Erin says:

Prayers and best wishes that everything goes ok and you find the peace you have been seeking (and deserve!) Thank you for sharing yourself with a bunch of strangers- please know that your words are a light on many gray days.

August 20, 2021/Reply
  15. HeaTher says:

Best wishes! And highly recommend taking the Gallup Strengthsfinders personality assessment! It’s exactly what you mentioned- a look at your top 10 strengths with a discussion of how to use your strengths to your advantage and also warnings of things to look out for when your strengths turn into weaknesses. So insightful!

August 20, 2021/Reply
  16. Tracey Vinson says:

All the best! Sleep lots – it’s amazingly restorative!

August 20, 2021/Reply
  17. Shanghai says:

Take care. Put yourself and your needs first. We understand! Good luck with the surgery.

August 20, 2021/Reply
  18. NorCalgal says:

Rest, recuperate, and take as much time as you need! Best of luck with your procedure next week. Sending you best wishes and healing thoughts!

August 21, 2021/Reply