Style + Work

The List: Professional Cardigans

Even though I don’t work as an attorney, I volunteer my services at a local non-profit.  And the dress code is a bit more relaxed than I’m used to — not jeans, but not suits either.  So I went looking for a few structured, professional cardigans to wear with my business separates.  Here’s some of what I found.

LOFT Striped Sweater Jacket

I put this one up first, because it’s the one I ultimately bought.  It has the structure of a jacket with the ease of a cardigan.  It’s just a bit more grown up than your standard crewneck cardi.

J.Crew Juliet Sweater Jacket

I own this sweater in grey.  It’s nice for layering over dresses or wearing with jeans.  It also belts closed really easily.

Talbot’s Military Sweater Jacket (Petite, Plus, Plus Petite)

LOFT Terry Jacket

Eloquii Plus-Size Tie Waist Cardigan

LOFT Ribbeed V-Neck Cardigan

MM LaFleur St. Ambrose Jardigan

A classic. The perfect blend of a sweater and a jacket.  Has a loose fit to drape nicely over dresses.

{this post contains affiliate links that may generate commission for the author}

1. Samara says:

LOFT has a 50% off sale items, and you can snap up the cardigans for under $40.

January 30, 2020/Reply
    • Jill says:

Love Loft. The sale jewelry is practically free sometimes. 🙂

February 3, 2020/Reply
  2. KiKo says:

Hello. Do you have any sizing or fit suggestions or comments for the LOFT item? Sometimes jackets are tricky because most women want them fitted but they also need to be large enough to accommodate clothes underneath. For example, do you find the cardigan sleeves to work well for wearing with long sleeve tops/dresses?

January 30, 2020/Reply

Under sweaters, I’ve never had a problem with long sleeves.

January 30, 2020/Reply
  3. RKT says:

Thank you! I needed this post!!!

January 30, 2020/Reply
  4. SSC says:

What’s the fiber content of the Loft sweater jacket? It’s not listed on the website.

January 30, 2020/Reply

Which one?

January 30, 2020/Reply
      • Ssc says:

The striped ivory one at the top that you bought. Sorry!

January 30, 2020/Reply
  5. fiffty50 says:

I have the MM St. Ambrose Jardigan one and enjoy it. It really can only be worn with sleeveless tops underneath or MAYBE a long sleeve that is thin because cap sleeves show through and look ridiculous. I got the Jcrew Juliette but from the factory store so not sure how it’s different. It just looked huge and dumpy in my usual size medium so I returned it.

January 31, 2020/Reply
  6. Amanda says:

Best. Post. Ever.

January 31, 2020/Reply
  7. Jess says:

Love that Loft terry jacket. I ordered that one and a black & white marled cardigan – looking forward to adding them to my work wardrobe!

February 1, 2020/Reply
  8. Carla Spitler says:

I own the J.Crew Juliette collarless sweater in 3 colors. It is literally the best thing I’ve purchased in the last year. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I own the camel, black and cilantro green. I wear them with everything. I wear it around the house to stay warm, I wore them with leggings (both “nicer” ones and ones I wear to my kids sporting events), I wear them over dresses, dress pants and longer skirts. It is literally the most versatile thing I own. You can belt it closed or wear it open. I would consider buying in the size smaller than usual, as it’s a bit boxy/oversized and I wanted to be able to keep it more fitting. Seriously consider this sweater, it’s amazing.

February 3, 2020/Reply