1) Maternity leave what’s not working, and how to fix it. (Refinery29)
2) This Eliza J v-neck crepe sheath is a must have work basic. Her cap sleeve fit-and-flare in cobalt is also pretty cute.
3) She was the youngest member of the Afghan Parliament, so why is she working at a Home Depot in Omaha, Nebraska? (Omaha World Herald)
4) This LL Bean fisherman’s sweater is 10 kinds of perfect. Their Shaker Wool cardigan is also pretty great.
5) Tips for cleaning up your laptop and organizing your computer files. (Bustle)
6) If you love pants, you need these Hampshire trousers in dark burgundy. And these Richmond pants in hydrangea. (Both are in petite and long lengths.)
7) Adam Ruins Everything is my favorite. This week’s video: Everything About Weddings is a Rip-Off. (Digg)
8) People are loving Essie’s Hors d’Oeuvres nail polish. It’s a chic mix of silver and gold, because why choose?
*image found here.
I was so tempted to buy the Shaker cardigan to wear on long flights with leggings, but it was too warm for summer trips. Went with this one instead: https://www.bluefly.com/bungalow-20-cozy-cardigan/p/390900403. If I wasn’t severely limited in closet space, I would totally spring for the LL Bean one though.
Can you give us a few ways to style the fisherman sweater? I don’t know if I bought mine to big last year, but I never seem to like it on me ( i LOVE seeing it styled on others)
just curious says:
Belle, no offense, but these last two Daily Eights don’t sound like your writing. Did you get a helper?
No, no helper. Just been feeling under the weather.
Re: the Refinery 29 article – all I can say is, fifty-two weeks. FIFTY-TWO weeks that women can take with their babies in the UK. And I have been made to feel desperately lucky to have cobbled together 16 weeks of maternity leave from my personal annual/sick leave, short-term disability, and my company’s generous-for-the-US 4 (FOUR!) weeks of paid parental leave. (My husband took a grand total of two weeks.) It literally makes me tear up to think about, every time. See also the episode of Catastrophe (season 2, episode 5), which covers similar territory.
Exactly! Maternity/parental leave is so awful in the US (coupled with high childcare costs) and it’s infuriating how we never engage in this debate on a national level.
I cannot recommend the Eliza J Sheath Dress enough. I have it in navy and a beautiful hunter green they previously had in stock. The fit is amazing, and I receive so many compliments when I wear it. The length is great and the sleeves fit really well, so I can put a jacket over it when I am making court appearances. The v-neck is a great because it isn’t too low. Seriously worth so much more than its price tag.
Here is the dress in more colors: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-v-neck-crepe-sheath-dress/4036311?origin=related-4036311-0-1-PP_4-Data_Lab_Recommendo_V2-fbt_similar_items&recs_type=related&recs_productId=4036311&recs_categoryId=0&recs_productOrder=1&recs_placementId=PP_4&recs_source=Data_Lab_Recommendo_V2&recs_strategy=fbt_similar_items&recs_referringPageType=item_page