Style + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle: Affordable End of Summer Swimwear

This is an Ask Belle for me, written by me, that I think other ladies would find helpful.  Every summer, I tell myself, “I’m going to buy a new swimsuit.”  And every summer, I put it off until the week before my August vacation.  Procrastinate much?

Here are the one-piece and two-piece swimsuits that caught my eye.

Snip20150812_26

La Blanca Pretty One-Piece ($66) // VS Flounce One-Piece ($39) // Retro Print One-Piece ($70) // Target One Shoulder One-Piece ($39)

The strapless suit is my swimwear of choice.  No tan lines, no problems.  I also like this striped DKNY suit. Plus-size?  Try this strapless Pour Moi suit.

A cut-out suit is a nice option if you want to add a bit more sex appeal to your suit.  This Malawi printed suit is hot.  If you’re petite, try this yellow suit from J.Crew.

I love a gorgeous printed suit, this vibrant print from River Island is really fun.  I also love this tie-neck one-piece with a green and navy floral print.

Lastly, vintage-inspired suits are a glam choice.  This one-piece from Target is a great option.  I also love this Esther Williams suit with a sweetheart neckline. This zig-zag plus-size halter suit is so damn cute.

Snip20150812_28

Mossimo Push-up Top ($23) // Bikini Lab Purr Top ($30) // La Blanca Night Waves Top ($69) // Rosie Fringed Bikini Top ($26)

I love a two-piece swimsuit, and nothing makes me crazier than magazine article touting tips for getting a “bikini body.”  I already have a bikini body.  It looks remarkably like my regular body, but in a bikini.  So whether you choose a bikini or a one-piece, you should choose a suit you feel good in.

Target has some great, affordable suits right now.  I love this molded bandeau top in pink, and this ruffled top.  Plus-size?  This Ava & Viv suit is cute.

I have some serious chest acne happening right now (good timing).  It’s so bad, that it’s more of an outbreak than a break out.  So this high-neck bikini is really appealing to me.  I also like this simple purple high neck bikini.

This patterned suit from La Blanca is exactly what I’m looking for.  If it’s a little more than you want to spend, this Lucky Brand suit and this Topshop suit with a poppy print (optional halter) are adorable.

Fringe, baby.  So hot right now.  I love this bright orange suit.  L’Space also has this cute halter on sale.  Victoria’s Secret also has an affordable option.  Plus-size?  Jessica Simpson makes a cute halter.

Do you have a favorite style of swimsuit?  Or a favorite store to go searching?

1. Casey says:

Favorite place for swimsuits in DC area is south moon under. Their clothes are too college for my 30 year old self, but they have a great variety of suits as well as some cute cover ups.

August 13, 2015/Reply
  2. MissMaple says:

Does anyone have a suggestion for D+ cup size swimwear? I got a great suit from Coco Reef a few years ago, but I can’t seem to find that brand anymore.

August 13, 2015/Reply
    • Cecile says:

Try Panche or Freya. You can find both on Amazon or at figleaves.com

August 13, 2015/Reply
      • MissMaple says:

Thanks for the suggestion 🙂 I’ve had good luck with Panche sports bras, so that’s promising!

August 14, 2015/Reply
  3. Diana says:

Love this! I leave for vacation Monday and have yet to buy a suit.

Mara Hoffman and ASOS are my two favorites to browse!

August 13, 2015/Reply
  4. Maureen says:

The Boden Sorrento suit is my fave. I have it in many colors and prints. I’d prefer higher leg openings, but otherwise perfect in my book.

I’d love to see a post on cover ups.

August 13, 2015/Reply
    • SLG says:

My favorite coverup is an oversized white button-up shirt. Easy to find, can be had relatively cheap, and I pretend it makes me look like Ines de la Fressange.

August 13, 2015/Reply
  5. Jess says:

That Target one shoulder is amazing – I’m ordering it right now.

August 13, 2015/Reply
  6. Wanda says:

“I already have a bikini body. It looks remarkably like my regular body, but in a bikini.”

I love this so much.

August 13, 2015/Reply
    • JHK says:

Agreed! An important truth to continue to remind ourselves. Thanks, Belle!

August 14, 2015/Reply
  7. Tiffany says:

Living in hot, sunny, and salty SW Florida with highly chlorinated pools,, swimsuits are replaced frequently. I learned the hard way thinking I was buying quality that would last several years. Lifestyles here are too harsh for pricey suits, in my opinion, so I prefer getting 3-4 suits from Target each year for the cost one high fashion, designer suit. My two cents.

August 13, 2015/Reply
  8. Niki says:

I own that Mossimo top (hot pink one) and the cups are the most unnatural shape. I am an A cup and I ordered the XS – everything else about it fits fine and it was cheap enough for me to keep it regardless, but the cups are half Madonna cone bra. It looks bizarre under a shirt and I am sure bizarre when I am walking around as no one could reasonably imagine my breasts are shaped that way. If you don’t mind that aspect, it’s otherwise a perfectly fine inexpensive alternative.

August 14, 2015/Reply
  9. B5 says:

Is there a link to the patterned LA Blanca you like? I love Miracle Suit.

August 18, 2015/Reply
  10. coshorter says:

I disagree. Read: https://www.curvywordy.com/2013/06/curvy-kate-horizon-red-stripe-bikini.html

July 10, 2016/Reply