+ Look for Less

Morning Line: June 17

Dresses are one of my favorite things about summer.  And no one has a better selection of dresses than Dillard’s.  Here are the best ones I found while window shopping yesterday.

04496613_zi_off_white

Julia Jordan Knit Sheath ($148)

04471104_zi_navy

Flenn Denim Dress ($159)

04447239_zi_seafoam

Adrianna Papell Pleated Neckline Sheath ($98)

04436530_zi_cubic_shadows

Robert Rodriguez Cubic Drape Dress ($89)

04471253_zi_navy

Antonio Melani Gwenn Novelty Sheath ($159)

Plus-size?  This black and white print Michael Kors is a great dress for any season.  I also love this hot-pink Calvin Klein sheath.

Petite? This Calvin Klein luxe stretch dress comes in a gorgeous blue.  I also like this white eyelet shirtdress.

1. Anna says:

How could a dress like that denim dress become office appropriate? I tried on a pink dress with a similar neckline this weekend that was oh, so Jackie O, but i can’t go sleeveless at work. I imagine a jacket or cardigan would crowd the neckline. Is there any way to wear that kind of dress to work???

June 17, 2015/Reply
    • KC says:

I have a dress nearly identical to the denim one (also from Dillards, Antonio Melani, I think) that I wear with a fitted 3/4 sleeve cardigan. As long as the cardigan is a coordinating color match and isn’t too loose or drapey, I think it looks fine. I get a lot of compliments on the outfit.

June 17, 2015/Reply

You can pull the neckline down to look more like a cowl and do a cardi or jacket. I’ve also seen them with long-sleeve chiffon blouses under them.

June 17, 2015/Reply
  2. Mo says:

Any tips on the Antonio Melani fit? It appears from their size chart they are rather small in the bust as compared to waist and hips? Might need to wait for a sale if I’m going to shell out $$ for tailoring the waist/hips to fit.

June 17, 2015/Reply
    • KC says:

I find that the dresses run big, but if anything, they’re small in the shoulders/arm area. I’m usually a size 8 or large 6, but am consistently a 4 or a 6 in Antonio Melani. I’m tall and have unusually broad shoulders and proportionately large arms, so that is what I have to try to fit and they may not be too small on an average-proportioned frame. Definitely watch for a sale. Dillards always has racks and racks of discounted work dresses and Antonio Melani.

June 17, 2015/Reply
    • D says:

I’m a 6 in J.Crew suiting dresses and an 8 in the No. 2 pencil, and I wear an 8 in Melani dresses and a 10 in their pencil skirts. (I’m 5’7, 150 lbs, 34-27-39. I carry my weight in my thighs.) Sometimes a 6 dress will fit, but most often I buy the 8 and have the top taken in.

Dillard’s pricing on these dresses has 3 stages: full price $160, 40% off $100, 65% off $65 (3 day return limit in store; final sale online).

The sweet spot, then, is buying both sizes you’re considering for $100 and returning whichever doesn’t fit.

June 17, 2015/Reply