+ Look for Less

Morning Line: January 22

cn8744071

Piperlime Collection Popover Blouse ($59)

I’ve been looking at this pale pink J.Crew blouse for a few weeks.  But given the declining quality of many of their pieces, I’m understandably gun-shy about buying it.  So I was thrilled to find this cheaper Piperlime version.

Pullover silky blouses are a wardrobe staple for me.  I tuck them into pencil skirts or wear them with jeans.  For some under-$50 options, I like this Cooper and Ella blouse in soft white and this black Ivanka Trump blouse.  Forever21 offers a pale pink blouse ($22).  And I love this ivory H&M blouse with the black bib front.

Plus-size? This NYDJ blouse with bracelet sleeves comes in a variety of colors.  Petite? This hot pink Pleione blouse is a fun choice.  Tall? LOFT has a couple of colors in your size.

1. Giggling Gourmand says:

For the price of the J Crew blouse and their recent quality I’d suggest Joie. Their tops aren’t cheap but they hold up well and can often be found for pretty good markdowns and unlike both the J. Crew and Piperlime number they tend to be silk.

2. C says:

This is a weird Q … but what kind of deodorant do you use with these kinds of tops? Even if I’m not too sweaty, I feel like the residue creates wet-looking spots under the arms because the fabric is so thin. What’s your secret on application!?

January 22, 2015/Reply

I use men’s deodorant, and I only take one swipe. I think a lot of women over apply, there was an article about it a few months ago. I’ve heard the new spray deodorants work well.

• J says:

I agree! These types of tops always make me sweat. I don’t know what it is, I already use men’s deodorant. Any other tips out there??

• Anna says:

It could be the ones you’re buying. If they’re a synthetic material, they will get hotter. Best to go with actual silk.

January 23, 2015/Reply
    • M. says:

I try not to use it very often, but for meetings or public presentations I use Certain Dri (the roll-on). You have to put it on the night before when you go to bed, and it can sting just a little bit (making sure skin is dry first helps), but it just completely prevents sweat altogether where applied. As I said, best to use infrequently, I’m sure.

3. Jess says:

I notice a lot of blouses like this are slightly sheer. Do you wear a cami underneath or am I just buying cheap clothes?

January 22, 2015/Reply

I wear a cami, usually. They are almost always sheer, even the $200+ Joie ones are.

• giggling gourmand says:

Sigh that’s bad news. I have Joie blouses in dark colors and find them okay w/o a camisole but I just bought a cream one that was delivered today. Does anybody make silk blouses thick enough not to require a cami?

• L says:

Equipment

January 22, 2015/Reply

Iris and Ink at the Outnet usually has one or two a year. Otte does. And Everlane depending on the color.

• Anna says:

Blech. I wear this style a lot too, almost always with a cami, but I hate adding the extra bulk, especially with pencil skirts. I too am on a quest for more opaque lightweight blouses.

January 23, 2015/Reply
  4. Lauren says:

How is the quality of the Piperlime shirt? There are a few cute items I’ve been eyeing but wondered how well it will all hold up.

5. C says:

OK this is a weird question, but what kind of deodorant do you use with these kinds of silk blouses? I feel like there’s always residue or i’m paranoid of sweating through because the fabric is SO thing… even if I wait for a gel to dry, for instance. Help?

6. C says:

Crap I posted twice. Sorry about that!

7. SGK says:

How is the quality of Ivanka Trump clothing?

• Amanda says:

I’ve tried a few Ivanka Trump dresses and been unimpressed with the quality. They looked great online, but in person the fabric quality and finish were pretty poor.

January 23, 2015/Reply
  8. Michelle Z says:

Where do you get your camis? I am looking for new ones that are good that I can wear under my shirts like this! Thanks!

January 23, 2015/Reply

Shimera from Nordstrom.

January 23, 2015/Reply
  9. Anna-bird says:

Apparently now’s the time to act on Piperlime! They announced it’ll be axed by spring 🙁

January 23, 2015/Reply

Really? That’s so sad.

January 23, 2015/Reply
    • AK says:

I really wish you’d made it clear you were advertising for your blog instead of linking to a relevant story about piperlime. Now I’m upset twice. I come here to read Belle and don’t appreciate being tricked.

January 23, 2015/Reply