Style + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle: The Best Lip Gloss

Hi Belle,

Do you have a favorite lip gloss?  I was using one from Revlon, but it was discontinued.  I prefer pink or pink-nude, but a nice shade of berry never hurt anyone.

Thank you for your suggestions! Happy Holidays! Amy

To be perfectly honest, I don’t usually wear lip gloss.  I much prefer a sheer lip tint like Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor.  The only gloss that I’ve ever loved is Trish McEvoy’s Beauty Booster.  A friend whose opinion I trust loves Laura Mercier Lip Glace, which comes in every color under the sun.

Hopefully, readers can help you out with more suggestions.  Perhaps they know of a drugstore brand that wows.  I’ve taken some recommendations from the comments in the past, and they rarely steer me wrong.

1. Caitlin says:

I love Neutrogena MoistureShine lip smoother – it’s all I use if I’m not wearing lipstick

2. Maryn says:

My personal favorite, though it’s a bit pricey, is Sugar Fresh Lip Balms. They come in every tint, and have a natural dewy finish that isn’t shiny or sticky. They’re also natural without any chemical fragrances or odd taste. They last ages and really hydrate well. My favorite color is ‘Rose’ – it’s really the perfect ‘your lips but better’ tone.

• Lucy says:

Seconded. They’re the best.

• Giggling Gourmand says:

Third! Totally worth the splurge.

December 23, 2014/Reply
  3. calys says:

sparkplug from bare minerals! pink-nude perfection, flattering on everyone.

4. Marisa says:

nYX mega shine glosses in beige (beautiful nude pink) and dolly pink are super pigmented, not sticky, and beautiful!

5. Helena says:

Seconding the Laura Mercier Lip Glace recommendation. They’re expensive, but pack a lot of pigment and shine without being sticky or tacky.

6. Jess D says:

Revlon Lip Butter! Goes on like lip stick, feels like chap stick. Berry Smoothie is my favorite color.

7. Ruchita says:

My favorite are the Neutrogena MoistureShine glosses. Pretty colors and very moisturizing for chapped lips.

8. Kara says:

I love Bobbi Brown lip gloss! Their lip brightening glosses work really well and aren’t sticky. I love NARS for their pigment but they are sticky..

9. LeslieJeannene says:

I don’t wear gloss often but when I do its either Bobbi Brown or Clinique Super Balm that really does moisturize well.

10. Kirsten says:

NYX Cosmetics make the most amazing lippies! Love love love them. The glosses go very well over the lipsticks or lip creams, and give a gorgeous ombre lip effect.

11. Julie says:

I agree with Belle’s recommendation of Trish McEvoy’s lip gloss. I bought it in sexy nude this fall after receiving a very enthusiastic recommendation and it is pretty much perfect.

12. Sarah says:

Almay has some beautiful lip glosses out right now!

13. Rachel B says:

I like lip glosses from Korres, in the pot and the tube. They’re not tacky or scented and they don’t sting. Kinda pricey though, unless you buy them in holiday sets.

December 23, 2014/Reply
  14. Kathleen says:

If your Revlon product was discontinued, chances are you can still find it on Amazon. My favorite lipstain is Revlon Just Bitten. It was discontinued this past summer, but I’ve found it on Amazon, and for a cheaper price than I was paying at the drugstore.

December 23, 2014/Reply
  15. Caroline says:

Clinique black honey is a nice long-wear gloss that looks great on everyone!

December 23, 2014/Reply
  16. Melissa says:

In terms of drugstore options, the NYX butter glosses are amazing! They have so many great colors. My favorite nudes are creme brule and tiramisu. A nice pink is vanilla cream pie. I second the Laura Mercier lip product recommendations. I love their Sheer Lip Color in bare lips and their gloss in sweetheart. If you really want to splurge, YSL has some great ones too.

December 23, 2014/Reply
  17. Valerie says:

For something really subtle that I use everyday instead of lipstick, Neutrogena’s revitalizing lip balm is great. My favorite shade is Sunny Berry, and I’ve seen it work on a range of skin tones.

December 24, 2014/Reply