It’s hard to tell people no. But the worst thing you can do, if you know the answer will be no, is give the other person hope that the answer might become yes. It’s kinder to give the other person a truthful answer, than one that is comfortable.
1) During the holiday season, many workplaces, churches, and communities host food drives. This article discusses the items food banks need most, and those that they don’t need. Hint: Durability matters; think boxes and cans, not food that comes in bags.
While donating food is a good way to give back, many food banks can do more with cash donations. For $10, my local food bank can feed 46 people. As Slate explains, this is because most food banks are able to buy food in bulk, at far less than retail price.
2) Has French Connection finally made a, dare I say, chic rain boot?
3) With the Golden Globe announcement yesterday, we have officially entered awards’ season. NYMag compiled the best and worst red carpet looks of 2014. All I have to say is, “Lupita today. Lupita tomorrow. Lupita forever.”
4) Still need a party dress for the holidays? Want something under-$100? This purple, layered dress from ASOS is fab. This chic Mango pleated shoulder dress comes in three holiday colors. Plus-size? This Spense fringe dress is so fun. Petite? This blush-and-black dress is still one of my favorite things I’ve seen this year (also in misses and tall).
5) When I have a bad breakout, I can never quite cover the redness. So I picked up a sample of It! Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness and Bye Bye Pores Duo, and ladies, I am in love.
6) People, it is cold in Montana. To keep from freezing to death this holiday, I ordered this Topshop sweatshirt and matching pant to sleep in. I also picked up a pair of super-warm socks, and I’m considering these flannel pajamas from J.Crew Factory.
7) Deadspin presents the 2014 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog. And if you’re buying gifts for someone who likes to cook but hates the prep work, I highly recommend this OXO veggie chopper and this mandoline. They make slicing and dicing a breeze.
8) I’m trying to up my skirt-game with more colors and styles. This flirty, a-line skirt in plum caught my eye. This black tulip/wrap skirt is a great choice for a party. And this $45 flouncy, midi skirt from ASOS is totally to.die.for.
9) Every year, Barbara Walters hosts a special featuring that year’s 10 Most Fascinating People, but not everyone stays “fascinating.” Here are the 15 former titleholders who you’ve probably forgotten.
10) Going somewhere warm and sunny this holiday season? Supergoop’s uber-popular Everyday-UV Defense oil is back in stock. It sells out in the summer, so stock up if you love it. And if you just need something for your face, I love their Save Face AM Moisturizer.
11) “I fell out of time in the summer of 2004. I fell back in about seven years later, on September 11, 2011.” A reporter who covered the Iraq War discusses his struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder.
12) Marie Claire pronounced the fur scarf the hot accessory that every celebrity is wearing. To indulge in this trend-piece, try this Pankhurst Infinity Scarf or this supremely gorgeous scarf from Anthropologie. Or for something under-$25, this faux-fur, grey collar looks great with any jacket.