Belle’s Weekly Reading: November 7, 2014
Nov 7, 2014
1) Last week, we talked about a video that documented street harassment in New York City. Jezebel has a follow-up that points out some of the videos failings, like editing out the white male harassers and the women of color who were also harassed.
2) Now that I own a car, I don’t need to be as concerned with finding shoes I can walk long distances in. So I hit the Nordstrom sale and picked up these gorgeous navy Joe’s heels for $71. They also come in brown or black.
3) According to The Cut, the Kardashians are reviving the corset. After reading the article, I wonder why anyone would give up the ability to breathe freely for a waist that looks smaller.
4) Feeling nostalgic about your film camera? The Fujifilm printer allows you to print Polaroid-like photos from your iPhone. Want the real Polaroid Impossible Project Instaprinter? It’s a bit cheaper and available on Amazon.
5) I have a confession to make: I watch way too much TV. Luckily, Real Simple has a list of 13 productive things to do while watching television.
6) A few readers asked for my thoughts on The Limited’s Scandal-inspired clothing line. While it’s underwhelming, mostly due to the hype, there are several lovely pieces that I wouldn’t mind owning.
I adore this belted coat with an extra-wide lapel. If you’re looking for blazers, this collarless, peplum blazer and this belted, tweed jacket. These wide leg trousers have a slightly slimming tab front. And this gorgeous ivory, cuff-shoulder sweater is definitely worth a look.
7) Pap smears are one of the least fun things on the planet, but they could save your life. Elle.com covers why the CDC is telling women to stop making excuses and go in for a cervical cancer screening.
8) All kinds of gift-set goodness is making its way to Sephora for the holidays. I love this Chubby Colour Lip Set from Clinique. The Sephora Superstars set always makes a great gift. And if you’ve ever wanted to give SKII’s products a try, this set offers three of their best at a discount.
9) A master counterfeiter made nearly $200 million worth of flawless counterfeit bills and got away with it. GQ can always be counted on for a good caper.
10) This Fern Living blanket with a geometric black-and-white pattern is so gorgeous that I have to remind myself that I’m done decorating.
11) A marketing firm had an idea for an experiment: Photograph a teenage boy who had a Bieber/One Direction look about, post the photo on social media, watch results. And the frenzy that is #AlexfromTarget was born. Now, an unsuspecting kid belongs to the Interwebs.
12) Come to my house on any lazy Sunday and I’ll be wearing my favorite $15 Everlane tee. I recently picked up their Boyfriend sweatshirt, and it is so cozy. I’ve also been eyeing this short, casual trench.