1. Joules says:

I feel like a black sweater like this is the ultimate winter staple. They go with everything. I really like the Halogen version and am impressed with the price.

Style by Joules

October 1, 2014/Reply
  2. k-t says:

I have several Halogen cashmere sweaters and they really are pretty high quality at a good price. Wash with the Laundress cashmere shampoo.

October 1, 2014/Reply
  3. Eve says:

I know you were focusing on the sweaters but the skirt length wow! I would be interested in your views on skirt length. I think shorter than knee length looks slutty especially at work.

October 1, 2014/Reply
    • Anna says:

Those outfits are meant for work. This wasn’t Belle’s styling. I love the look of a cozy sweater with a mini. It creates an interesting balance.

October 1, 2014/Reply
      • Anna says:

aren’t*

October 1, 2014/Reply
    • Liz says:

I think “unprofessional” is the word you’re looking for. I don’t find it appropriate to call someone “slutty” because the skirt is a shorter hemline.

At work, of course, my skirts and dresses hover around my knees, but on weekends I may frequently run around in a mid-thigh length skirt. I would hope that other women wouldn’t judge or brand me based on some perceived promiscuity guessed at based on a hemline.

October 1, 2014/Reply
      • Kate says:

Liz, I love you. This response was brilliant and spot on.

October 1, 2014/Reply
      • LeslieJeannene says:

Thank you! I had the same thought but couldn’t put it eloquently.

October 1, 2014/Reply

While it is (unfortunately) the common verbiage, I do not use the words slutty, skanky, etc. to describe people’s attire. It contributes to the notion that a woman’s attire is indicative of her sexual history or whether she is willing to engage in casual sex. It’s too close to the notion that a rape victim who is dresses a certain way was “asking for it”.

That being said, as the prev. commenter mentioned, I didn’t choose these skirts. I wouldn’t wear them to the office. An office skirt, in my view, should be no more than three fingers above the knee when standing. You should also make sure it doesn’t ride up too high while sitting.

I own a leather mini and rock it while I still have the youth for it. It’s fun to wear it to dinner or to non-work events.

October 1, 2014/Reply

If you’re looking for a replacement word, I think tacky works just fine.

October 1, 2014/Reply
  4. bella says:

I’ve actually had good luck at L.L. Bean for good cashmere sweaters.

October 7, 2014/Reply