+ Look for Less

Morning Line: September 29

458109_ou_xl

Michael Michael Kors Wrap-Front Dress ($120)

I spotted this dress over a month ago on the website of a foreign retailer, and it’s finally available in the States.  It’s also selling out fast.  And why not?  The gorgeous midnight-navy color, the flattering shape, the versatile day-to-night aesthetic…it’s a must have.

Nordstrom has the dress in the navy, as well as in a turquoise color.  They also have a similar dress in emerald in petite sizes.

The neckline in the photo looks a bit revealing.  In practice, you can gather and tighten it so that it’s not.  If you want a permanent solution, having it stitched closed cost me $15.

1. Rory says:

There’s a very similar plus size option avilable as well: https://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-plus-faux-wrap-dress?ID=1084720&pla_country=US&cm_mmc=Google-PLA-ADC-_-GS-Sutton-_-Michael%20Michael%20Kors%20Plus-_-888235725956USA&CAWELAID=120156070000360070&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120156070000320152&cadevice=c

Also, while I love the dress, it’s really those snakeskin sandals I’m lusting over.

• Kate says:

Thank you for finding the plus size option, Rory!

September 29, 2014/Reply

Awesome, thanks. I couldn’t find one that wasn’t totally dowdy.

2. Joules says:

Hm, I actually have some reservations about this dress. It looks a little… choir dressy too me. Maybe it’s the wide flare or the length or the dark color. Something about it just looks a bit too heavy.

Style by Joules

3. T says:

This looks like the coveted Issa dress and it’s a fraction of the cost! Thanks, Belle!

4. D says:

This is so lovely. Purchased!

5. BWest says:

Anyone have any thoughts on if the green is too bright to be professional? i could be over thinking this. I have a dark complexion (think Lupita Nyong’o) so I’m wary of the navy.

• Anna says:

Unless you’re in a SUPER conservative field – think stockings and suits everyday – the green is definitely appropriate. I would only be wary of neon type brights in a professional setting. A classic piece in a bright, but not obnoxiously so, color is perfectly fine.

6. Amy says:

Belle-
    what kind of legwear would you wear with this in the winter? I’m in the DC area and seriously thinking about purchasing it in Navy… but with cool weather coming, I’m stuck on tight options?? Help!
    Amy

September 29, 2014/Reply

Black tights, black shoes. It doesn’t seem like it will work, but Donna Karan did black and navy together a few years ago, and it worked.

• Amy says:

awesome. thanks!

September 30, 2014/Reply
  7. Charleigh says:

what T said. The Issa dress Kate Middleton wore when she and Wills announced their engagement. Seeing copies of it everywhere now

8. Julia S says:

I have a very similar dress from AT and I rarely wear it even though it’s gorgeous. I don’t know what to wear for a necklace, and I feel strange wearing a dress to work without a jacket.

Suggestions on how to accessorize a navy dress like this for work?

September 29, 2014/Reply

Sure, I’d choose a grey or ivory one-button blazer, and get a wide black belt big enough to cover the button and still lay flat, then I’d add black shoes. For a necklace, I would wear a long pendant, slightly longer or slightly shorter than the point of the v-neck.