1) Maryam al Monsouri is the UAE’s first female fighter pilot. She’s a role model for millions of little girls everywhere. But ask the jackasses at Fox News and they reduce her accomplishments to a bunch of juvenile quips. They should be so proud of themselves.
2) Tory Burch has this gorgeous dotted-haircalf satchel. And do.not.miss her Gemma dress with a short sleeve and a spotted, pony jacquard print.
3) KLM Airlines has an interesting way of returning to lost items to customers. It involves an adorable beagle with an incredible sense of smell. (Too cute.)
4) Need to rehab your sweaters? This stone pill and lint remover is a must have. This black and grey Club Monaco sweater is a chic basic. For a piece that will last several seasons, check out the brand Autumn Cashmere. Need something inexpensive? I love this BP textured cotton crew neck.
5) What if you just don’t know if you want kids?
6) I’m not quite girly enough for Kate Spade, but sometimes her pieces are just too fab to miss. This pointelle sweater dress is gorgeous. I also love this Genni sweater with elbow patches. And this ivory coat with a bow on the neck is everything.
7) A small town tragedy has many townspeople asking if it should be crime to raise a killer. Where does the parents’ responsibility end and the child’s begin?
8) Microdermabrasion is really expensive. Silk’n has a new device that can give you the effect of microdermabrasion at home. I can’t wait to try it.
9) Reading a summary of the comments left on food blogs will make you laugh out loud. Imagine being told that despite the fact that the cook didn’t use your recommended ingredients, or cook it in the way you intended, it’s your fault that the meal didn’t turn out gourmet.
10) Anthropologie is offering an extra 25-percent-off sale items. This colorful striped scarf is a great choice. I also love this zip-up that is stylish and perfect for covering up post-gym. And these black-and-white d’Orsay flats might be the most unusual shoes that I’ve seen in a while.
11) The New Yorker has a piece on how plus-size fashion is getting a fresh look by hitting the runways.
12) Sephora released a few of their holiday gift sets and palettes early. They’re offering the Fresh Sugar Lip Legends again, so many great colors. Also, for lovers of Clinique Black Honey lip color, they have a gorgeous set for $25. But my favorite is this mini-set from Givenchy that features some of their best foundation, blush and eye colors.
Re: the “I don’t know if I want kids” — My husband and I both have always wanted kids, 2 at the least. Well we had a surprise pregnancy (as in we had just gotten engaged and weren’t planning babies for another 2 yrs) and now that we are parents, we don’t even know if we want more than 1. It’s a major lifestyle change, one that I always envisioned but in reality was more of a shock than I expected. Maybe we just don’t like the infant stage that much (he’s 7 months old); maybe once he’s running around and talking, we’ll get the urge for another. You just never know.
My Mom always says the only person who can say they want two kids is someone who already has one. Same for two kids to three, etc.
So sorry to do this, but the beagle story is a hoax! 🙁
Oh, damn. That sucks.
Great round up of links. I look forward to these posts so much! #7 certainly gives us all a lot to think about, and #9 was hilarious!
Thank you for including the article on plus size fashion, and for including plus size options when you can. As a plus size woman who leads a major non-profit, I struggle with finding clothes that don’t look like they came from Wal-Mart. I’ve just spent an entire lunch hour online, trying to find something to wear to a wedding that isn’t dowdy or cheap looking. It’s the holy grail of plus size shopping. Perhaps more articles like these will help the cause.
#7 made me cry. Let me tell you as a mom of a child with significant emotional disabilities due to a number of things that happened early on in his life (I adopted him when he was 9, so I could not do anything to protect him then) how very, very, very, very, very, very, very hard it is to teach new skills, to get adequate therapy, to get anybody in a position to help to believe that it’s not just a lack of parenting or bad parenting that is causing my kid to have difficulty. I understand that this dad is angry about the death of his daughter. But blaming the boy’s mom, who by all accounts had done LOTS of things to try to help him, is a cruelty of it’s own kind.
It seemed like the dad just wanted to sue everyone involved (there were 2 other lawsuits mentioned in the story).
Also – he was blaming the mom for the fact that the son watched the father choke her. So insane.
Yes, he is definitely grasping at anything he can find to satisfy his grief. He’s unfortunately not doing himself any favors. Although the “blame the parents” mentality is pretty common so should still need to be addressed.
I will refrain from getting started on people who blame children for things that happened to them.
If anybody is looking for a great book to read that touches on some of these issues, check out “The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog” by Bruce Perry. It is an easy to read even though it has some scientific explanations.
For 9) there’s also the people who read the recipe “Indulgent cake with triple frosting and extra everything, served with double Cream” and leave a comment about how bad it is with that much sugar and fat and why didn’t the baker make the recipe healthier. Sigh! Go read the bark bread blogs instead.
I had heard about #1, and then I watched the video, and I am just shocked. I’d love to see these Fox News guys fly a jet or land one on an aircraft carrier (both of which I, a woman, have done). Unfortunately, I’m sure this isn’t the worst thing that has ever been said about or to Maryam al Monsouri, but she’ll continue being her same badass self and rising above it.
The thing with the KLM dog is adorable beyond words.
And I love that Kate Spade coat.
Style by Joules
Jon Stewart totally called Fox News out those insanely sexist comments after they got all high and mighty because Obama saluted troops with a coffee cup on his hand. It was pretty awesome.
Yeah, the juxtaposition of that is incredible. No, Mr. President, no Starbucks. Hah! That soldier has boobs, that’s funny!
don’t come here to read disparaging remarks. Don’t need it and don’t want it. unsubscribing
Disparaging towards whom? A group of men who joked about a brave female soldier and should be roundly chastised for their sexism and misogyny, not to mention their disrespect for a soldier who faces danger that they do not on the couch of a NYC TV studio? If that turns you away from this blog, then I am not sorry to see you go.
Can’t wait for your review of Silk’N!
I present this:
Whenever I have a bad day -because of ‘people’- I just remind myself that this exist and I’m instantly happier.
People are the worst/best!