Belle’s Weekly Reading: August 22, 2014
Aug 22, 2014
Six years ago, during a boring August recess, I decided to start a fashion blog. I thought it would be a fun diversion. I did not think that one day tens-of-thousands of awesome women would read it. This blog is often the best part of my day. So thank you for stopping by, commenting and sending in e-mails. It’s been my pleasure.
2) It’s going to be chilly soon enough, so I’m looking for mid-weight sweaters. This sleek Dolman-sleeve sweater from LOFT is a great choice. I also love the button-detail on the back of this sweater. This eyelet-sleeve sweater is also fun (limited sizes).
3) The French Laundry is one of America’s greatest restaurants. And now, it’s been reviewed by a four-year-old.
4) The smooth Hanky Panky Bare thongs are my favorite. But at $22 a pair, they’re not exactly affordable. These Calvin Klein thongs are seamless and run $12. Target also offers a seamless modal thong for $5.
5) “Have I told you lately that you’re crazy?” Because sometimes, you need to tell your friends the truth.
6) Every Tuesday, I check The Outnet’s new arrivals. I never miss it. This week, they have some great under-$100 choices. These $35 Yosi Samra snake-skin flats caught my eye. These DAV rain boots are whimsical and practical. They have a great Breton-striped top in navy or black. But this structured Theory top with a slight peplum is my favorite.
7) If liquor bottle labels told the truth.
8) I’ve been doing yoga for stress relief. My favorite workout tops are the Athleta Odyssey tanks. They’re perfectly slouchy, come in a great selection of colors, and they promise not to retain smells. I also love their long-sleeved Sharkbite top. With my Zella leggings, they’re a comfortable, stylish yoga ensemble.
9) Lots of fun stories out of this year’s Little League World Series. A female pitcher is tearing it up in a boys’ game. And a little league coach reminds us that you don’t coach sports, you coach children.
10) These Nails Inc. Gel-Effect polishes are amazing. The colors are vivid, and their fall colors (esp. Grosvenor Crescent) are fab. I mix them with Deborah Lippman’s gel base and topcoat. My last polish job has over two weeks with no chips.
11) If you were planning to become a billionaire by making a must-have iPhone app, that ship has probably sailed.
12) This $25 crossbody satchel from Old Navy looks awesome in person. A great buy.
13) Initially, I was skeptical of the Ice Bucket Challenge–mostly because I saw several golfers and TV hosts pour ice water on their heads before I heard anyone mention ALS, so I figured he cause was getting lost in the hype. But according to numbers from ALS Association, they’ve raised over $40-million in the past three weeks, double their total donations for 2013. Apparently, people will pay to watch their loved ones get soaked with freezing cold water.
14) This under-$100 Adrianna Papell skirt has such a cool print. Mix it with neutrals for work or a t-shirt for the weekend.