AdviceStyle + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle Roundup Vol. IV, No. Thirty-Six

Hi Belle, I am looking for glittery/shimmery/fancy-ish sandals/heels to wear at an Indian wedding (nothing too uncomfortable though so huge heels is a no-no), but definitely borderline flashy (must be classy!) open-toed sandals. Any recommendation or am I looking for too much in this ask? Cheers, Ruchi

Metallic heels are a favorite of mine for special occasions.  You can wear them with almost anything, and they can be as simple or as lavish as you’re comfortable wearing.

_8202042Pelle Moda Firefly Sandals ($170)

I chose these simple, kitten-heels because they have just the right amount of sparkled for me and the heel isn’t high.  If you want a higher heel, these J. Renee pumps are nearly identical and have 3 1/4-inch heel.

If you like more sparkle, no one rocks glitter like Kate Spade.  Looking for something a bit more elegant?  These d’Orsay Ivanka Trump heels are lovely.

Prefer an easy open-toe, gold heel?  These J. Renee slingbacks and these Nine West pumps ($40!) are both good choices.  If you need a closed-toe shoe, these Loeffler Randall pumps are a screaming deal at under-$100.

Hi Belle! I’m on the hunt for a pair of black or gray, slightly distressed skinny jeans. I love the look of some designer  pairs, but can’t justify spending over $200 on a pair of jeans. Do you have any suggestions closer to the $100 price point? Thanks so much! Meghan

There wasn’t much to choose from in the under-$100 price range.  I found these Blank skinny jeans in a faded black wash.  I also like these grey jeans from Express.  But if you want a real bargain, these black, distressed H&M jeans are only $25. Want distressed blue jeans?  J.Crew Factory makes a nice, under-$50 pair.  I also like this pair from Kensie.

Hi Belle, With fall coming, can you suggest some knit moto jackets?  I want something to wear with jeans or with a pencil skirt so it can’t have too many buckles or zippers.  I’d also like to find something under-$100.  Thanks! Sincerely, Rachel

I love this Tinley Road quilted moto jacket.  This Sanctuary moto jacket is also a superb choice.  This speckled moto jacket is also superb choice if you want a little color.  But I think this Halogen moto jacket is my favorite. Plus-size?  This Charter Club jacket is a nice option.  Petite?  This LOFT textured moto jacket is lovely.

Belle, Quick question: Do you have a source for cheap cardigans?  I mean under $25 bucks cheap?  I have toddlers, investing in nice things is just a stupid idea. Misa

H&M is always a good place to find use and abuse pieces.  Their fine-knit cardigans come in solids and prints.  I also like their long, melange cardigans. LOFT also has some nice choices.  I like this slubbed waterfall cardigan.  This Lou & Grey whisper cardigan is nice too.  This long, striped cardigan is perfectly relaxed. Want a better selection?  6pm.com is a great place to start.

1. S says:

Thanks for so many great suggestions! The link to the Halogen moto leads to the Charter Club plus-sized option. I’m looking forward to seeing your favorite when you have a minute to update the link. 🙂

Fixed.

2. Susie Cambria says:

I LOVE Macy’s for inexpensive cardigans. They’ve got great sales and deals and worth a stop in if you have time. Got one last month for $11 and it’s cute as all get out.

3. P says:

Re: gray jeans – I just purchased these and I think they are going to be a wardrobe staple: https://www.zara.com/us/en/woman/jeans/medium-rise-jeans-c271007p1984662.html They aren’t distressed, but they’re a great shade of gray and fit wonderfully. Only $50 too!

4. E says:

Ruchi–I purchased these to wear to a wedding and I love them: https://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and.+katie+nina+sandal?prodId=dsw12prod5060132&brand=300191&activeCats=women,300191&isBrand=y&categoryName=women They were comfortable, too!

5. J says:

I haven’t had a good experience with H&M cardigans. They tend to pill a lot and the little fuzz balls get transferred to all my other clothes. But that was a few years ago so maybe the quality is better now.

I’ve had really good luck at Nordstrom Rack. They have a generic store brand called Abound. The cardigans come in a bunch of colors, are 100% cotton, and only $15.

6. Clementine says:

Re: Cardigans. This is where I am a fan of outlet shopping. I’ve found good cardigans in that price point at JCrew, Banana, Gap, and Van Heusen outlets. I can specifically recall going with a friend who bought a big stack of cardigans for her overly-air conditioned office and they ended up being $10 each at the Banana outlet. I would check the factory websites. I’ve gotten cardigans at Target, but wouldn’t recommend them as they don’t hold up well to washing.

7. EJ says:

Target (Merona) cardigans. They stand up better than some of the more expensive brands, imho.

8. Chloe says:

What neutral-colored shoes would one wear with gray jeans? I’m not sure cognac boots would look right, and black might still look weird. Just thinking out loud here. My first thought would be colored flats, but through the winter that might not be an option. Bueller?

9. Kat says:

You cannot beat Old Navy for cardigans. V-neck, crew, flyaway, or boyfriend, they have cardis for under $25, and with coupons, you can usually pick them up for $15. AND they come in plus sizes too.

• Rachel C says:

I second Old Navy! I swear by Loft for nicer cardigans, but you really can’t beat ON for simple, basic and inexpensive cardigan . I have several that are 2-3 years old, have been washed countless times and still look nice enough to wear to work. The same can’t be said for other brands.

10. Nicole says:

I wore the Kate Spade Charm Heels for my own wedding in gold. I’m not a high heel person, and yet, found them extraordinarily comfortable. I put them on at 11 in the morning, and did not take them off until after midnight, after boogieing on the dance floor all night. I can’t recommend the Charm enough.

11. Nora says:

Old Navy’s mid-rise “Rockstar” skinny jeans are my go-to denim, and they’re often as cheap as $15!

12. Megan says:

I love my cardigans from Target (Merona brand). I have several and I’ve found they hold up well to washing/wear and you can’t beat the price.

13. MM says:

I have these black jeans and love them.

(NYDJ black moto).

Looks like they have something in grey, too.

14. Joules says:

Loving the selection of knit motos! The Tinley road one is fantastic. Definitely considering a purchase…

Style by Joules

August 19, 2014/Reply
  15. EKW says:

Target consistently has cheap cardigans that last fairly well. I’ve had good luck at the Gap Outlet and Lands End sometimes has sales.

August 20, 2014/Reply