On Wednesday, I mentioned that I was considering posting the Weekly Reading more frequently. After thinking about it and talking to some friends who are also readers, I decided to post a Weekly Work Reading on Wednesdays and then the regular post on Fridays. I think that doing it this way will keep the content varied and unique, even though the format will be the same.
1) If the dozens of tweets and e-mails are any indication, some of you are very excited for Limited’s Olivia Pope-inspired collaboration with the costume designer from Scandal. I expect gorgeous coats and blazers that will sell out within moments, and then be posted to eBay for 10x their MSRP.
2) These grey Chinese Laundry sandals pack a lot of style into $45.
3) The crew at The Daily Show takes on sexual assault on America’s college campuses and some of the ridiculous punishments doled out the men found responsible. It’s sad, funny and true.
4) I paint my nails at home, and this new Plie Wand from Julep is a game-changer. The wand improves accuracy and control for the perfect paint job every time. As for my favorite Julep hue, it’s their newest shade, a rich berry hue called Kessie.
5) EW.com has a list of the 55 Essential Movies That Kids Must Experience Before They Turn 13. Some great flicks on this list.
6) The Outnet is killing it this week. This under-$150 cobalt and black knit dress from DvF is a killer. This two-tone Helmut Lang top would look good in any season. And while I am completely unsure why, I love this Alexander McQueen necklace.
7) Advertisements say a lot about cultural views on women, both good and bad. This ad from Verizon illustrates the importance of encouraging girls to be interested in more than just looking pretty.
Conversely, the Amy Poehler for Old Navy ads have reached a new low. In the latest one, a model stands at a microphone wearings a strapless jersey dress, a rope belt and six-inch high heels. She’s a politician running for office, and she’s super smart! You can tell because she’s wearing glasses.
8) Need to dry Nalgene bottles, baby bottles or other hand-wash-only items? This Grass Countertop Bottle Drying Rack is a lifesaver.
9) Are you saying/using these common phrases wrong? The humbling quiz that everyone should take.
10) This $25 H&M Shopper Tote has a chic structured shape. Must-have.
11) Elle has an opinion piece entitled, “In Defense of Your Husband’s Female Friend.” I’m not crazy about the writer’s thought process on the issue. (Maybe it’s intentionally provocative click-bait?) But as a woman with close male friends who are married/committed, I think it’s a topic that needs to be sussed out, just not by her.
13) Can you improve your luck? Mental Floss has an interesting piece on the psychology behind luck and chance.
14) Coach is having a not-to-be-missed semi-annual sale. This peachy pink hobo bag is a great piece. The shoe selection is phenomenal, esp. these simple Nala heels in four great colors. And the wallets and clutches are to.die.for.
And since my parents, who forgot my birthday present for the third year in a row, are reading this, two words: Python-printed Trench.