I’m beginning to think that I should start a blog that’s just weekly reading, or write a daily reading e-mail or something. I wind up with far more articles than I use, so I thought I would direct some of my professionally oriented content into a single post.
1) Levo League is a great organization for young professional women. They also have a fantastic website brimming with helpful articles on topics like When to Stop Fighting for It and 5 Things You Should Delete From Your Resume. They also provide short mentoring videos filled with career advice.
Since we’re on the topic of resumes, my biggest pet peeve is when people include their hobbies on a resume, so it was great to see that make the cut list. The only exception? When the hobby is applicable to the functions of the position or the company you want to work for–you like yoga and want to work for Lululemon, for example.
2) Behold, the Nine West Margo heel–they’re super comfortable, a professional basic, come in 18 colors, and 6pm.com has them for less than $60.
3) The sluggish Japanese economy desperately needs women to get back into the workforce. A female politician was speaking in support of programs that aid working mothers when her male colleagues began jeering her, asking where her husband and children were. I didn’t realize that chauvinism was a key ingredient in Japanese cooking.
4) What if I told you that I found a super-chic bangle that combined gold and silver tones for maximum versatility, and had just a hint of David Yurman’s cabled-metal style? Now, what if I told you that bangle was $15?
5) Hitha on the Go has a great post on surviving long flights spent in economy class. 10+ hours on a plane sounds like torture to me, but at least her tips make it seem bearable.
6) Satchels are my favorite handbags to carry to the office. The best place to find stylish, inexpensive ones? DSW. This Audrey Brooke tote-hybrid is great. I love this Wilshire satchel that has a great sleek shape, and the metal accents on this Soto satchel. And this Urban Expressions Rhapsody satchel looks just like the Rebecca Minkoff Cupid bag.
7) New studies show that regardless of what your boss may say about flex-time, getting to work early will help you get ahead. It’s called morning bias, a belief that early-arrivers are more conscientious.
I learned this lesson at my last job. It didn’t matter that I was putting in more total hours than my early-bird colleagues, because the boss was doing the early morning thing. So if you’re on flex-time, keeping the cleaning staff company long after the boss heads home, you might want to rethink your schedule.
8) If your morning commute has you feeling less than fresh, you need three things in your desk drawer: Wipes, deodorant, and a travel-size perfume. If your favorite fragrance doesn’t come in a rollerball, pick up a mini-atomizer instead.
9) Haven’t signed up for The Skimm yet? It’s time. This daily blast of news is as witty as it is informative. I Skimm while waiting for my 8:00am Torts class to start. Why did I give up coffee, again…
Need sleeves? This Issa knock-off is lovely. I also like this gorgeous navy sheath with a dramatic neckline, and this versatile black and white frock. And if you like sleeveless dresses, don’t miss this bright berry dress and this office-appropriate lace sheath (not to be missed!). The best part? They’re all under-$200 and have a great sale section.
11) We talk a lot about women who leave the workforce to raise children, but what about the growing group of women leaving their jobs at the peak of their careers to care for elderly parents?
12) I aspire to reach such a level of professional success that I can shop for workwear exclusively at Net-a-Porter. Until then, I can dream.