Belle’s Weekly Reading: May 1, 2014
May 1, 2014
Sometimes all you need to fight your way forward is one person telling you that you can’t make it.
1) In case you haven’t heard, America’s Most Eligible Bachelor, George Clooney, is engaged to be married. As a result, he owes several of his friends huge amounts of money. His fiancee is a well-respected attorney with incredible credentials, which prompted this funny Slate headline. But my favorite article on the engagement came from the NY Post–it’s definitely worth a read.
Prefer a dress neither simple, nor casual? This Zimmerman dress has loads of style and price tag to match.
4) If you love the moisturizing effects of Argan Oil, don’t miss Josie Maran’s Lip and Cheek Creamy Oil.
5) This week, it was revealed that Chase has closed the personal banking accounts of several adult film actors. Some are speculating that these closures are the latest front in the Administration’s Operation Choke Point, which attempts to slowly strangle businesses and industries it finds objectionable by cutting of their access to banking services. Other targeted industries include payday lenders, ammunition and tobacco sellers and online gambling.
6) Bloomingdale’s has some great new arrivals in the shoe department. I die for these Sam Edelman snakeskin, high-heeled sandals. Also, these cute Ralph Lauren flat sandals that would go with everything in your casual wardrobe.
7) I read this article several weeks ago, but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. It’s called, “Being Raped in a Bankrupt City,” and it details the work that several dedicated public servants are doing to clear Detroit’s backlog of rape kits even though the city is cash poor and crime rich.
9) How much makeup do you think is attractive? That question is at the heart of a study covered in The Atlantic, which found that women (and men) think men prefer when women wear lots of makeup. The opposite is actually true.
10) Kate Moss for Topshop has landed, and the pieces are selling out quick. So if you’re a fan, don’t wait.
11) Take a tour of Grace Coddington’s NYC apartment (hint: she’s a cat person).
12) Storage containers that are also decorative are a nice gift. I picked up these metallic containers from West Elm for a friend’s birthday. I also grabbed these cheeky pebble boxes (they’re shaped like rocks) for my bedside table.
13) And one more this week because this click-bait is too ridiculous to ignore: Someone complained to the Toronto library, asking that the book “Hop on Pop” by Dr. Seuss be removed from the collection because it encouraged violence against fathers.