+ Look for Less

10th Commandment: April 21

You love shoes.  You love under-$100 week.  Let’s put ’em together.

_8410825

Vince Camuto Ellen Flat ($79)

It’s springtime, and in my house, that means it’s time for new commuter flats.  I like to buy my walk-to-work shoes in a print or metallic so that they go with everything.  These VC flats in snakeskin are a great choice, you might also try these Steve Madden Heaven flats in snakeskin for $39.

Prefer metallics?  These gold Aertrex flats have orthopedic support but look sleek.  I also found these Hush Puppies flats that come in every color under the sun for $75 or less.  Some people also swear by Yosi Samra flats, but I don’t care for shoes with an elastic band.

While I don’t endorse the wearing of a full sneaker (unless you have a long commute), there are some in between options.  Classic Keds are my favorite sneaker-like shoe, Kate Spade also makes these gold-foil Keds for $125.

What’s your favorite commuter flat?

1. save. spend. splurge. says:

Price not being a factor, what has been the most comfortable ballet flat you’ve ever bought/worn and has lasted the test of time?

April 21, 2014/Reply

Honestly, the ones I wore for the longest that seemed to have staying power were the Steve Madden Kooba flats I bought in 09 and wore until late 2011.

• save. spend. splurge. says:

Thanks for replying. I’m on the hunt for a pair of flats which is why I am polling!

April 23, 2014/Reply
    • Lexi says:

Madewell flats are super comfortable and very well made. Great value for your money.

• save. spend. splurge. says:

I am going to check them out. I found the J. Crew flats to be uncomfortable and Madewell is their sister company.. so I’m hesitant!

April 23, 2014/Reply
    • Kathy says:

Libby Edelman Liv Flat..if you can still find it. It has been my absolute favorite and I’ve bought several colors. Running around in the hospital-comfortable.

2. Jenny says:

The Adam Tucker Me Too slip-ons are hands-down THE most comfortable flats I have ever worn. Bought them in three colors. Nordstrom has them.

3. Steph says:

Belle, have you ever tried Tieks? I’ve been debating them for a few months but to date haven’t been able to justify the price tag.

April 21, 2014/Reply

I did. They had the elastic band around the top, which is really uncomfortable for me. Also, the gold was more of a urine yellow. And lastly, I don’t like that you can see the Tiffany blue sole from every angle.

• Meg says:

I also don’t love the blue sole, but they are seriously the most comfortable pair of flats I’ve ever owned. They also seem like they will hold up really well. I’ve worn them quite a bit with no wear on the bottoms.

• save. spend. splurge. says:

See, I like an elastic band.. otherwise it never stays on my foot unless the vamp is really high.

April 23, 2014/Reply
  4. AmandaaPete says:

Huge fan of the DexFlex comfort flats from Payless. Extremely comfortable! So cheap that I don’t feel bad buying multiple pairs and throwing them out when they get worn (even though they last a VERY long time).

5. Jennifer says:

I am a huge fan of the sport flat for commuting or just spending all day Saturday on errands. I have several pairs of PUMA’s Zandy. They still make this in some new finishes, but PUMA also has several other “ballerina” options. Search PUMA website, Amazon, DSW, and Zappos. Thank goodness all the other commenters are veering away from Melanie Griffith’s high-top Reeboks from Working Girl!

• A says:

I second the Zandy flat recommendation!

6. Rachel C says:

This isn’t related to commuter flats, however, I was hoping you could help me find some work appropriate sandals for the summer. My office is business casual, with jeans on Friday. Most women wear dresses or skirts/tops during the summer. (Think more Loft and less Jcrew.) No one wears suits. Sandals are allowed during the summer, but not flip flops. Is it possible to find something, preferably flat, that would be ok? I usually just wear ballet flats, but sometimes they look a bit heavy with my dresses. Thanks!

7. Para says:

I find Madewell’s flats really comfortable and pretty durable. I like that they’re all leather, more breathable. You do need to break them in around the house for a couple of days first so they don’t rub.

8. Joules says:

Love this! I just bought a pair of snakeskin flats and I love them. They go with everything!

style by Joules

9. s says:

love the snake print. cole haan flats are my go-to (sooo comfortable, and worth the extra $$$ in my opinion) but they kind of get destroyed by dc’s unforgiving sidewalks.

April 22, 2014/Reply
    • s says:

oh and i used to own the steve madden heaven flats in a fun cat print. they lasted foreverrrrr!

April 22, 2014/Reply