Belle’s Weekly Reading: April 18, 2014
Apr 18, 2014
1) Yale University threatened to suspend a student for having a BMI their health office considers too low. Some are questioning how “unhealthy” is calculated, and whether suspension is an appropriate response to a potential eating disorder.
3) In the 1980s, the Walkman was the must.have.gift (until the Discman came out). But how would today’s kids, who have access to iPhones, iPads and Androids, react to how their parents listened to music? (h/t Kottke)
4) Banana Republic has some lovely jewelry for sale right now. This crystal collar necklace would be the perfect thing for a simple cocktail dress. This grey, multi-strand necklace would look great with anything in your closet. I adore this pave bar bracelet, also in silver. And don’t miss these blue cluster earrings to add some color to your spring attire.
5) The Levo League asks, “Do women undermine themselves with punctuation?!?!?!?”
6) I’m moving into a bigger place, which means more space to furnish. I don’t want to go nuts with the new decor, but there are two pieces I’ve been eyeing at CB2. I adore this oversized mirror (for Instagram outfit-selfies) and this charcoal-colored bar. I might also grab this indoor/outdoor pouf from the sale section.
7) This recipe for Spicy Pineapple Chicken Stir-fry is really good.
9) Frozen fever has hit the elementary school set. Some parents are spending as much as $1,200 to get the sold out Elsa costume on eBay, while others are simply griping on Disney’s Facebook page about the lack of availability. Is this what it means to raise a child in a post-Beanie Baby, post-Tickle Me Elmo world?
11) Should you sign the back of your credit card? Since you’re “required” to sign the back of the card in order to use it, I do. But I also add “see ID” in Sharpie, I’m still almost never asked for my ID.
12) I’m thinking about buying a white clutch. I don’t usually fall for the magazine trends, but this Vince Camuto clutch with a detailed clasp is awesome. This Milly clutch is also to die for. Need something under-$100? Try this BCBG envelope clutch or this Natasha Couture Box Clutch ($38).