Belle’s Weekly Reading: February 21, 2014
Feb 21, 2014
1) A reporter from NYMag crashed a party attended by Wall Street’s elite. Apparently, the one-percenters who belong to Kappa Beta Phi require new members to dress in spangled leotards. The rich, they’re really not like the rest of us.
2) Posh Spice’s singing talents weren’t enviable, but Victoria Beckham designs dresses that are positively lust-worthy. This fuchsia gown is a showstopper. I’ve seen this simple cap-sleeve dress on several TV heroines. And this beige dress with mesh accents hits all the right notes.
3) House of Cards has seized the nation’s consciousness. For locals, take The Washington Post’s quiz to find out how well you know the locations featured in the shows opening credits. Also, check out this article on what House of Cards can teach us about managing a crisis.
4) Speaking of HoC, the Celeste dress from Club Monaco is pure Claire Underwood.
5) Alterations Needed has a great post on how tailoring can change a garment from fashion faux pas to fabulous. You’ll never believe how she transformed a pair of skinny trousers.
6) I like to hit Old Navy from time-to-time to see what’s new. I love this jersey, wrap-front top in ballet pink. This inexpensive field jacket in dark navy is a must-have. And if you’re looking for a pullover for the weekends, this cotton hoodie is.the.one. It’s perfect.
7) Everything is bigger in Texas, even debutante balls.
8) Sneakers are having a moment. Editors, bloggers and fashionistas are all wearing lace-ups. WhoWhatWear has “7 Tricks” to wear them right.
If you’re interested in trying the trend, you can go minimalist with a pair of black Pumas or beige New Balance Tomboys. Want something a bit more unique? Try this metallic Ecco pair or this Nike pair with violet accents.
9) Dry shampoo is a time saver, and it you color your hair, dry shampooing every other day can prolong the length of your dye job. Glitter Guide has the best dry shampoos for every hair type. My favorite is Psssst, but DryBar Detox is a very close second.
10) If you’ve ever wanted to try the Cate Blanchett-endorsed skincare line SK-II, you can buy this $100 kit, which contains premium-size samples of their most beloved products. I love the Facial Treatment Essence. I’m not sure it’s a miracle cure, but it really brightens my skin.
11) An unmarried woman, 7-months pregnant moves from California to New York to attend Columbia University. As a result, a California judge awards custody of her newborn baby to the father. Oh, and did I mention the father is Olympian Bode Miller?
12) These Zara heels need to get in my closet!