1) UN Women plugged phrases like “women shouldn’t” and “women need to” into Google and the popular results were astonishingly disturbed. If you think gender equality is a fight we’ve won, the campaign is proof that there is still a long way to go.
2) I’ve recently rediscovered my love for Equipment’s silk blouses. This long, Mandarin-collar tunic is right up my alley. I also adore the skeleton-key print on this blush-colored blouse.
3) Jean at Extra Petite has an eye-opening side-by-side outfit comparison for all the women who think that what they wear shouldn’t play a role in their career success. Tell me, which outfit would make the best first impression?
4) It may be a bit early to start talking about holiday gifts, but I am obsessed with this Ciate Nail Lab. It contains six nail polishes and several additives and recipe cards that allow you to mix colors of your own. Like I said, a great gift.
5) TOMS shoes is rethinking its ‘buy one, give one’ policy. They’re investigating whether retooling the practice might be more beneficial to the children they want to help. I’m glad to see they’re actively thinking about how their charity should evolve with the times.
On a related note, these TOMS boots are kind of hideous, but I’m strangely drawn to them. I may buy them to wear around my parents’ freezing cold house over the holidays. I promise the boots will never see the outdoors. They’re slippers, not shoes.
6) Neiman Marcus has Cole Haan shoes for 40%-off. I am obsessed with these wine-colored suede sandals. They also have the very popular Air Lainey pump for just $60. So if you want to give high heels with Nike Air technology a try, now is the time.
7) 32 Makeup Tricks That No One Taught You. (Some real gems in there.)
8) Gap has some chic new cold-weather pieces for sale. This hot pink moto jacket caught my eye, as did this multi-color infinity scarf. I’m also totally smitten with this navy duffle coat.
9) The Fast Track has a collection of the best work advice its readers have ever received. It’s a good read for career-oriented women.
10) Have trouble keeping your jewelry untangled and organized when you travel? I bought this jewelry roll to keep things straight and it made a big difference. If you’re crafty, you can follow this tutorial from I Spy DIY to make your own.
11) We’ve had many spirited conversations about the use of the phrase ‘nude’ when describing shoes. Now, designer Christian Louboutin has decided to make his classic shoe in five shades so that women can choose the one that best gives them that impossibly long-legged look. Hopefully, other designers will follow his lead and women in shopping in the lower price-points will be able to find ‘nude’ shoes that suit them.
No. 1: I thought that campaign was pretty brilliant. Great pick for your weekly reading, and extremely eye-opening. And terrifying.
Gap has a campaign in their petites section using Jean from Extra Petite. Those side-by-side photos were so interesting!
Do you mean LOFT? I’m curious to see the Gap comparison. I’m also petite and her blog has helped me so much toward building a wardrobe that fits!
LOL. yes! silly me.
The Extra Petite photo is old (but still good!) and part of a larger blog post on how to act and dress confidently for the work place.
I recently discovered your blog and I’m really enjoying your style and humor. Re: #5. That’s how I feel about Uggs. They’re slippers, not shoes. But I do wear them to walk the dog sometimes… I can’t help it – they’re really warm!