Belle’s Weekly Reading: October 18, 2013
Oct 18, 2013
A few weeks ago, I left the comfortably stable job that had once been my dream career to embark on a new adventure. Why? Because I found that lobbying neither challenged me in a positive way, nor fulfilled me as my previous career in government had.
Being self-employed has been…interesting. Working with clients, managing the books, dealing with sub-contractors and knowing that I am the only one responsible for keeping the plates spinning is much more difficult than anticipated. Self-employment is a hustle, but one that I hope will change me and my life for the better.
1) I was once screwed up about what it meant to be a feminist. (Some readers set me straight.) And judging by the last line of this NY Daily News article, supermodel Bar Rafaeli is too.
2) Words cannot adequately express how desperately in love I am with this Alexander McQueen business suit. The tailoring. The puffed sleeves. Swoon.
Imagine wearing it with these deadly gorgeous Gianvito Rossi mesh panel pumps. No, I can’t. It’s too much chic for one outfit, and one day-dream, to hold.
3) Can vegan chocolate cake actually taste good? This one from Food52 can. (The mostly empty plate in my fridge confirms it does.)
4) The Origins ‘Clear Improvement’ Charcoal Mask continues to be one of the best beauty products that I have ever purchased. Remove it with hot water and a muslin face cloth. Then, apply Tammy Fender Intensive Repair Balm, drink an extra large glass of water and get a good night’s sleep. In the morning, your skin will look ah.may.zing.
5) Even if you don’t play golf, you need to watch this video of the “most extreme” hole of golf in the world.
6) Why do so many fashionistas and bloggers think that these furry pink coats are stylish must haves? They look like someone skinned a Muppet. Or the bathrobe that my Nana wore in 1985.
7) I’ve wanted to buy some succulents to decorate my apartment for a while. I don’t care much for leafy houseplants (not that I could keep them alive), and thought succulents would be a good alternative. I’ve never seen any for sale at my usual haunts, but this Etsy shop has a wonderful selection of single plants and kits that you can arrange in the container of your choice.
8) I don’t really look good in hats, but Miss M keeps encouraging me to buy one for winter time. But there are so many to choose from.
I found this chic Nine West newsboy a la Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada. I spotted this cool crochet-knit beanie from Aeropostale, and this sleek Brooks Brothers cloche. I guess I’m just glad she didn’t recommend the fur earmuffs that I keep seeing everywhere.
9) New York Magazine has an interview with Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia that neither his supporters, nor his detractors, will want to miss.
10) Gap and GQ Magazine have teamed up with several designers to create a collaborative collection called GQ x Gap. It has some cool pieces for gentlemen. I’m buying this simple, vintage-looking Ernest Alexander dopp kit as a gift for someone. It costs half as much at Gap as it does at Nordstrom. Score.
11) Do you hate unsightly cords? Do you wish someone made an iPhone dock that didn’t look like a plastic set prop from Battlestar Galactica? Then, you need to check out this Kickstarter for The Spool Dock. Amazing in its simplicity, this clever little device is a must have for Apple-philes who love good design.