+ Look for Less

10th Commandment: September 18

As much as it pains me to say this, it’s sweater season.  I try not to spend a lot of money on sweaters because, for whatever reason, I never want to wear last fall’s sweater this fall.  No matter how much I loved it last season, I’m never as enamored with it this season.  I don’t feel that way about dresses, skirts or jackets…just sweaters.  Luckily, Gap has some lovely, inexpensive sweaters that I won’t feel bad about wearing for only one season.

cn6860045

Envelope Sweater ($39)

A chic boatneck sweater, in a vibrant color, cut long enough for my long torso?  Be still my beating heart.

Gap also has this basic long, v-neck cardigan in several colors, and a crewneck sweater with a shirt tail hem.  This chunky marled pullover looks cozy and warm.  And I also found this to.die.for geometric-knit open cardigan (that I ordered immediately) and cannot wait to wear.

Before you rush off to J.Crew to overpay for a sweater that will be on 40%-Off Final Sale by Halloween, give Gap a look.  They have some great sweaters that would be perfect for weekends, casual Fridays or a business casual office and all of them are 25%-off with code GAPNEW.

1. K says:

What are you going to wear with that cardigan? Do you think it is long enough for leggings?

September 18, 2013/Reply

Probably skinny jeans. However, if you want to wear leggings you will need a longer top, like a white tunic tee, to wear under it. But it should cover the rear view.

September 18, 2013/Reply
      • K says:

Okay, thanks!

September 18, 2013/Reply
  2. MBF says:

FYI, Gap is offering 35% off regular prices now with code GAPFALL.

September 18, 2013/Reply
  3. WW says:

Too often, I feel like sweaters sold at mid-level clothing stores like Loft are made of low-quality materials and are so, so itchy. I refuse to buy or wear itchy sweaters. Life is too short.

September 18, 2013/Reply
    • s says:

agreed. 🙂

September 18, 2013/Reply

I have the envelope sweater, it’s not itchy at all. In fact, it’s shockingly soft. But I do feel you on the itchy sweater issue, but I have that problem even at better retailers.

September 18, 2013/Reply
    • Mstar says:

Gap’s Eversoft line is true to its name. I have several sweaters from last year that held their shape, color and softness despite lazy laundering.

September 19, 2013/Reply
  4. Stephanie says:

Can’t go wrong with a good sweater. I have found decent ones at Old Navy in the past! I am loving them paired with pencil skirts for the office too (I work at a law firm by day.) Thanks for reaching out to me about coveritlive too by the way!

September 18, 2013/Reply
  5. helen says:

I’m curious as to why you feel the need to buy new sweaters every year. Seems like such a waste when the styles are pretty basic.

September 18, 2013/Reply
  6. J says:

I buy new sweaters every year too. I wear them to death, and by the end of each sweater season, mine are pilled, dull, and worn.

September 19, 2013/Reply
  7. Lynn says:

I actually refuse to buy J.Crew sweaters anymore, they don’t last, unlike my Gap sweaters which I bought maybe 4-5 years ago that still stand. They’re not as hip and cool for a new season, but they’re solid basics to have in the closet that last.

September 19, 2013/Reply