+ Look for Less

10th Commandment: July 31

It’s almost boot season.  (Yay!)  This fall, over-the-knee boots are back.  But as chic as these Jimmy Choos are, they’re not exactly practical.  So let’s focus on a more accessible trends, flat boots with buckle details.

Elected Official

NMX1S6K_mx

Saint Laurent Tall Buckle Boots ($1,645)

Hill Staffer

NMX1Q8W_mx

Frye Shirley Riding Plate Boot ($298)

Looking for something less pricey?  I also like this Life Stride boot and this Naturalizer Juletta boot.

Paid Intern

cn6761049

Wanted Slicker ($89 + 25% off)

1. Kate says:

Any suggestions of good boots for people with very short calves? I’m 4’11” and my calves are one of the shorter parts of me, so whenever I get boots that are supposed to go below the knee, they always go higher and look really awkward.

• N says:

Also, suggestions for wider calves would be appreciated! My calves are 16.5″ on a slim day, and normally closer to 17″. Most boots have a calf circumference around 14-15″ and there is just no way that will work for me.

• Allison says:

I just discovered that 6pm.com has a great selection of wide calf boots; many different style and colors. The prices are reasonable too.

• R says:

The Naturalizer Juletta boot that Belle linked to also comes in wide calf. I have them in black, and they are great. Very comfortable. Mine were from widewidths.com, but I think you can also get them elsewhere.

• Kate says:

N – they’re not inexpensive, but I swear by Duo Boots out of England. They let you pick shoe size and then calf circumference, and I’m at the widest they go (50cm). The nice thing is that they have a wide variety of styles so you’re not stuck with one look. I have a nice pair of black 2″ tall boots and a low-heel grey suede boot. I think some brown ones will need to happen this fall.

• Katie says:

I’m a big fan of Fitzwell for wide calf boots. They carry a wide and an extra wide and are well constructed and comfortable. Also, the ankle is not excessively baggy.

August 1, 2013/Reply
    • s. says:

oh so i am 5’0″ and i just bought some target boots that are Frye knockoffs … HAHA. here they are: https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mossimo+engineer&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_mossimo+engineer (or search for “mossimo engineer boot”). would love to hear suggestions on riding boots for short people though!

• J says:

As long as the top of the boot is simple, a good cobbler or tailor can cut the shaft length down for you (even if there is a zipper). I got a pair done and it cost $45 or so. Really worth it for petite ladies.

• LS says:

I’ve been thinking of getting this done with a pair of boots I bought at the end of last winter, but felt like it might be a little too crazy haha. You’ve been happy with it though, J? Do you live in the DC area by any chance?

2. Heather says:

I have very tiny feet for my height. I’m 5’4″ and I have a size 6 foot. How can you tell if the shoe will fit when you order it? I’ve been trying to buy shoes online, but I have only had one instance where the shoes came back perfect.

3. Kathleen Lisson says:

I’d love to see some outfits with boots that are not jeans or leggings and tunic. Can we wear boots to the office and look professional?

• Nurit says:

Yes please! I was wondering the same thing. Belle, how would you style these? I am never sure if they can go with a sheath / pencil skirt etc.

• Anonymous says:

Ditto times 10!! I love boot season, and much prefer flat or low heeled boots, but I can’t seem to find a pair that look right with pencils skirts suitable for the office. Thanks!

August 1, 2013/Reply
  4. D says:

Any suggestions for boots for people with sweaty feet? I never wear boots because they feel like a sauna on my feet.

• Katie says:

Wool socks. I know it seems counter intuitive to put more layers on, but the wool helps wick the moisture away and keep your feet dry!

July 31, 2013/Reply

Spray on anti-perspirant works for me, a friend puts silica packs in the toes of her boots. Also look into the Geox brand they have air flow.

5. tnm says:

any recommendations for having your boot heels resoled?

August 1, 2013/Reply