Style

Blown Away: Drybar Is Coming to D.C.

For all of the blowout lovers in the crowd, Drybar is coming to D.C. on October 19th.  There will be one location in Georgetown and another in Bethesda.

Blowouts at Drybar are $40 and include the wash.  You can also choose the type of blowout you want, which is intriguing (click here for photos).  Drybar also offers updos for those times when you need to attend a formal work event on short notice.

And if you’re a frequent flyer, Drybar offers memberships, called bartabs, to help you save money and get more bang for your buck.

So check ’em out!  Maybe if they really take off we can convince the powers that be to open up another location somewhere a little closer to civilization (aka Metro) than Georgetown.

1. ChinaRette says:

I love getting blowouts. They're cheap in China, so I did them frequently (once a week, almost every week). My hair is a little frizzy and wavy-but-not-curly, so it was nice to have someone tame my hair.

November 30, -0001/Reply
  2. Kelly says:

This was not posted at 1:00.

3. TA says:

Really? You're going after Belle because it wasn't posted exactly at 1:00pm? How rude!

4. Anna says:

Ack! Is this really what it costs to get your hair blow dried? For 20 bucks more, I can get my hair cut.

5. Leigh says:

Um, really Kelly? I'm not trying to white knight or anything, but that's a little out of control…

6. Nicole says:

I think the costs for DC are $35. NYC is $40. Whoo hoo!

7. Kelly says:

Oh, I was questioning the time stamp only. Not trying to ask her to stick to a strict posting schedule or anything.

8. Amy says:

Interesting – the SF location only costs $35!

9. Nina says:

Georgetown makes a certain amount of sense but Bethesda?! Why not Chinatown or Penn quarter or the Hill? Someplace near where people actually work. This is clearly a service for people who have more money than time; however it looks like they are targeting people who have more money than sense. I don't make a ton of money but the few times I have gotten a blowout were when I have had to dash from a long workday to an important event.

10. Anonymous says:

Looks like there's some discrepancy with price…is it $35 or $40? The photo/ad states $35; Belle writes $40 and I think I've seen other columns say $40 for DC. Any confirmation for what it will be in DC? I'm not faulting Belle at all. As I've said, I've seen the price discrepancy other places as well.

To the comment about having a PQ or Hill location…I'm sure if this takes off, the proprietors will figure out what a smart idea that is and will open other locations.

11. helen says:

why? why? why? I will never understand why people pay money for this. Its called a curlling iron people. learn how to use it.

12. Belle says:

helen: everyone has their splurges, some ppl get manis, some ppl do blowouts, some ppl have a maid, some ppl take taxis, etc.

Anonymous: I think in DC it will be $40 like it is in NYC thanks to higher rents.

13. Leigh says:

@Kelly, Ah! That makes more sense. 🙂

14. TM says:

This would be a great giveaway! 🙂 hint hint

15. aec says:

Is this a sponsored post?

16. Belle says:

aec: No. I almost never do them. Someone sent me an email, I thought it looked cool, thought some people might be interested, I posted.

17. Caroline says:

It's an interesting concept. I can pay the same amount to have my hair washed, cut, and blow-dried straight, but the blow-drying part takes at least an hour even when a professional does it. I feel it's cruel to make the regular stylist blow-dry it straight after they've cut it, especially if they have a customer after me. It's such a long and tedious process that always leaves them way behind schedule. So maybe I would use a specialized service like this. But my hair is long, and exceptionally thick and curly. For a normal person it probably wouldn't take very long at all.

18. Amanda says:

Some girlfriends and I went to the NYC location as part of a bachelorette party. It was REALLY fun for a special occasion, but I agree that it's a bit spendy otherwise!

September 27, 2012/Reply
  19. Ellie says:

Thank you Belle for posting. I'm really excited about this. I'm blow dryer inept, and this is perfect for days or nights where you just want to be a bit pampered- big date, big meeting, anything!

September 27, 2012/Reply
  20. AD says:

I second the Bacherlotte Party idea. A group of us were too tanked after floating down the river in Austin to get ready, so after a quick shower, a blowdry bar in Austin (can't even remember the name) was perfect for getting ready for dinner while sobering up a bit. This one also did makeup and even ordered out food for us.

September 27, 2012/Reply
  21. Joanna says:

Yay! thanks for the heads up. I think I will be there. weekly.

October 10, 2012/Reply