Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I receive a lot of mail from job seekers who want to know what each of the jobs on the Hill–LC, LA, LD, Press Secretary, Scheduler, etc.–is all about. And while I can answer their questions when it comes to policy jobs, I am ill-equipped to answer their questions about press or admin positions.
Recently, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to write a series of posts explaining the functions of each job for job seekers and the qualifications for the posts. Obviously, this will vary by office, so I thought that I might ask those of you in the middle to upper echelons of the Hill to contribute your thoughts.
If you’re interested in participating, please e-mail me at capitolhillstyle (at) gmail with answers to the following questions.
1. What is your current title?
2. What previous positions have you held?
3. What is your educational background?
4. What are the essential qualifications for your position or a position you previously held?
5. What does your typical day look like? What challenges do you face and what responsibilities do you have?
Participants will be identified in very general terms (an LC for a Southern House Member or a COS for a veteran Senator), so be sure to list how you would like to be known.
The bottom line is that there are a lot of interns and job seekers who don’t know what it takes to find a job on the Hill because they don’t speak the language. Helping them can help us by educating our potential new employees, and bring about some good kharma.
Thanks in advance, Belle