Style + Ask The Edit

Ask Belle: Rainy Days Are Here Again

Florence Rain Flats (Anthropologie, $70)

I receive a lot of reader mail asking about rainy day attire.  One of the most frequent queries: What shoes to wear when it rains.  This is especially problematic during the warm weather, when the idea of wearing knee-high Wellies is NOT attractive.

I found these little rain flats from Anthropologie and I think they are perfect for drizzly spring mornings.  They’re water-repellant.  And they’re synthetic, so you can wipe them down or wash them.

Plus, in coral and citron, they’re really cute.

So if you’re looking for a waterproof shoe to wear on rainy days like today, these are the flats for you.  There is no reason why your calves should suffer the stifling heat of Wellies.

1. Jane F says:

And these are different from the Crocs, that you despise, how? Seems to me the only difference is the name and the price!

November 30, -0001/Reply
    • Fatima says:

No, no. I was going to buy Crocs Women’s Olivia II Lined Ballet Flat, but the Anthropology ones are superior. SO much more stylish and feminine, while serving the same purpose. Sometimes, you want something to repel the rain, but doesn’t go knee high or even ankle high.

August 30, 2019/Reply
  2. Rachel says:

These look effective (and cute!) but I can't get over the fact that someone is trying to sell what is essentially a molded plastic shoe for $70.

March 21, 2012/Reply
  3. Crystal says:

I saw these rain flats at J. Crew last week and thought they were a great idea. They come in cute colors and are a tad less expensive than the ones at Anthropologie. And to top it off they have cute little draining holes in the side so water doesnt get trapped if it happens to be raining that hard! https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shoes/ballets/PRDOVR~64450/64450.jsp

March 21, 2012/Reply
  4. mags says:

I really like these rain flats from J Crew: https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shoes/ballets/PRDOVR~64450/64450.jsp.

At only $58 they are perfect! I love the blue grotto color in particular.

March 21, 2012/Reply
  5. C. says:

I just imagine these causing lots of blisters!

March 21, 2012/Reply
  6. e-liz says:

these are a little less….err…plastic looking: these and these and these

March 21, 2012/Reply
  7. M-C says:

Crocs flat are half the price, and slip-resistant to boot. Not to mention divinely comfortable. Yes C, I thought they might cause blisters too, but they don't, even with real European walking.

March 21, 2012/Reply
  8. Belle says:

M-Ca: Crocs? Cue the 1950s horror movie-style screaming.

March 21, 2012/Reply
  9. Katie says:

I have a pair of the JCrew rain flats from last season (they were on clearance with an additional discount – paid less than $20). They're a bit tricky to walk in and not the most comfortable/supportive shoe. They're fantastic for spring showers, however, and make decent commuting shoes. I didn't have any blister problems, though I always take care to dry off my feet and the shoes with a paper towel once indoors.

March 22, 2012/Reply
  10. Ellie says:

The JCrew ones are $38 right now in the Pentagon City location.

March 22, 2012/Reply
  11. HH says:

What do you ladies think of these? https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63396?page=womens-coastal-rain-skimmers

Personally, I wish they had the navy/brown ones shown in the multiple view photos…

March 22, 2012/Reply
  12. Kaylee says:

M-C, I'm with you. I get the aversion to classic Crocs, but I don't get why so many people are so close-minded regarding the other styles. Although, while I do have go-to brands (mostly because I know I can count on getting a quality product), I've never been a person who cares much what label my jeans, bags, shoes, etc. bear, so that whole way of thinking is lost on me.

I can't find the Crocs ballet flats online, but I don't get what's so offensive about any of these shoes:

I have ones similar to the top ones, but close toed and not ombre, that I wear for rainy days in the spring/summer. I also have the bottom pair-they are the most comfortable heels I own.

March 22, 2012/Reply
  13. Belle says:

Kaylee: It's not the style. It's that I refuse to give those people my money. Period. I feel the same way about Uggs.

March 22, 2012/Reply
  14. m says:

My verdict on rain flats is that they're not worth it. I had a pair a couple years ago but got rid of them after the first couple times I wore them. There's a reason why rain boots are boots. With flats, you can't walk through puddles, and with any DC summer downpour you'll wind up with rain inside your shoes, which defeats the purpose.

That, and plastic shoes are not comfortable. They also remind me of those awful Jelly shoes that were all the rage in the 80s. I really wanted a pair to be cool like the other first graders, and my mom wouldn't let me. Smart woman.

March 22, 2012/Reply
  15. amber says:

Agree with m. “There is no reason why your calves should suffer the stifling heat of Wellies”? There is: to keep them dry. What about ankle rain boots, at least?

March 24, 2012/Reply
  16. Belle says:

Amber: When it's humid and hot, my calves don't stay dry, they just get covered in sweat and condensation instead of rain.

March 24, 2012/Reply