Style

Faux Pas: The Wedge Flip-Flop

The soft soled flip-flop has never been a favorite of mine.  And while many Hill staff choose to wear their flip-flops to the office, I find Havianas and their ilk to be unsuitable for any environ outside of a pool deck or a beach.  But my dislike for the flat version is nothing compared to the burning hatred that I feel for the wedge type.

Walking through the airport it seemed like every second woman was clopping around in a wedge sandal.  My complaint against the shoe is threefold:

1) The slapping of the shoes against the heels produces a sound akin to hoof beats.  It’s like I’m being chased by the four horsemen of the fashion apocalypse.

2) The cheap material wears very poorly and becomes dirty and damaged within days.  I always marvel at how an otherwise hygienic person can wear a shoe decorated with a filth imprint of their foot.  There is no telling what kind of bacteria live on those soles.

3)  Last year, a former co-worker twisted her ankle while walking down the stairs.  The culprit? Her wedge sandals.  One pricey surgery later, her orthopedic specialist forbid her to ever again wear her once-prized wedge Reefs.

In addition to these practical concerns, they also strike me as clunky and unappealing.  And if you’re really looking for the faux pas piece de resistance then try them with a pair of Capris and a Vera Bradley bag.  After my weekend trip, this look will forever be known as the Lawrence, Kansas.

1. Kristen says:

Hideous! The only person for whom wedge flops are acceptable is Snooki.

2. Ellen says:

Its posts like this that make me love this blog.

3. Dr. Jean Grey says:

I used to really love these kind of shoes in college..although mine had a full strap over my foot…they weren’t really flip wedges.

4. CP says:

I agree with the second commenter. This post made me laugh out loud!

5. Julie says:

It’s like you’re reading my mind. Great post!

6. Lawrencian in DC says:

When did you visit Lawrence? 2000? Couldn’t have been a recent trip…
    This is a completely absurd post.

7. another Kansan. says:

um. you’ve clearly never been to Lawrence.

8. Penny says:

Said faux pas are clearly atrocities, but as someone who is not only from Kansas, but lived in Lawrence for four years while going to KU, I can honestly say that the overwhelming majority of young women do not wear Vera Bradley, WEDGE FLIP-FLOPS (ICK ICK ICK), nor capris pants. Really, who does those flatter? I agree with your outlook, but kindly request that you come up with a new term.

9. Penny says:

Please excuse my grammatical errors I was too heated to edit.

10. ~M says:

It was such a shame. I got into the elevator with a very stylish woman, nice shoes, a pencil skirt with interesting details, crisp white button down, and a coach label bag that could be overlooked because it was a muted print. What could not be overlooked was the bright pink very bradley lunch bag on her wrist. it was unfortunate.

11. OhNoYouDidn't says:

Madame, you have seriously offended a lot of people in your last paragraph. Why don’t you replace “Lawrence, Kansas” with something that actually makes sense? As stated above, you’ve clearly never been to Lawrence.

12. ChestyLion says:

I think you’ve got the name all wrong, sweetie. There are more Birkenstocks still in Lawrence than there are wedge flip flops. Perhaps you should change the name of the look to the “Manhattan, Kansas”?

13. Kristin says:

Re: point 1…the only worse sound is when someone wearing said shoes clonks down the metro escalator. That’s one of my least favorite noises in the world.

14. Kristen says:

The only consistent fashion faux pas seen in Lawrence (and at KU) is UGG boots, but last I checked, those were pretty common on most college campuses. College students tend to dress more for comfort when going to classes (for better or for worse). Now that I’ve moved away from Lawrence, I’m noticing how my tendency to dress nicely is much more out of place here than it was in Lawrence. Here (in southern Colorado) I frequently feel overdressed.

15. Jaimee says:

I totally agree-HATE the wedge flip flop! And I have never even heard of Lawrence, KS until today and am amazed that you have so many readers from there!

August 12, 2010/Reply
  16. What? says:

Have you ever heard of the University of Kansas? Jayhawks? College basketball?

This post is lame.

August 12, 2010/Reply
  17. Stephanie says:

Lawrence, Kansas is not at all the stereotype of Kansas. I'm surprised that you and some of your readers DON'T know that.

August 12, 2010/Reply
  18. lorrwill says:

OUTSTANDING Post and fabulous smack down. I had never thought about the bacteria angle. EWWWWW.

I have never liked anything flip-flop, even as a child. I found the strap between my toes uncomfortable. Now as an adult I find them far too casual and pedestrian. And yes I am assaulted the that flap-flap-flap sound everyday at work.

August 15, 2010/Reply
  19. Belle says:

All-

My co-worker, a KU grad, has informed me that I have committed an egregious offense against all KU grads by saying anything negative about Lawrence.

To those of you who doubt me, I was there last week. There were wedge flip flops and Vera Bradley bags everywhere. However, most of the students were not there yet, so perhaps it perks up when classes get started.

Belle