Style

Faux Pas: A Triple Dose

Occasionally, readers will forward me photos of the faux pas that I’ve mentioned on CHS.  This week, I received three such e-mails.  What can I say?  My spies are everywhere.

Last week, my parents traveled to Salt Lake City for the weekend.  While shopping in Trolley Square, my Mother spotted this cache of chaos in a small gift shop.  So naturally, being a good and kind person, she stepped inside to snap a photo for her daughter’s blog.  The store owner, however, was not a fan of her shutterbug ways and immediately asked her to leave the store.

Rude, to be sure, but how can you blame her? If you owned a shop filled with a shameful display like this one, wouldn’t you want to keep it a secret?

God, that’s a lot of paisley.

Not  to be outdone, Lilly Pulitzer is pushing their own line of printed bags and accessories, but there’s are special.  There’s are for sorority sisters!  Because I know that I’d love to be a part of an organization that will basically force me to carry a brightly colored, iris printed tote everywhere I go.

Now, for the piece de resistance: The Gator Clip.

Jaw clips are faux pas enough on their own, so why someone would add sports-themed bows to one and think it’s stylish is beyond me.

Had this been a college cheerleader or a 12-year-old girl, I might have been able to let it go.  But I have it on good authority from the two different people who sent me a photo of this clip, that the owner was wearing a green staff badge.

1. Dr. Jean Grey says:

I don’t mind the typos. What I do mind are the grammar nannies who expect perfectly edited copy for every blog post. Give it a rest, people! It’s a hobby blog.

November 30, -0001/Reply
  2. Dr. Jean Grey says:

November 30, -0001/Reply
  3. LSU Tiger says:

Oh my gosh. that clip is awful. Not gonna lie though – I’m gonna take a look at the Chi O version of the Lilly bag.

July 23, 2010/Reply
  4. Allison says:

I went to Vanderbilt for undergrad and was in a sorority, it was a fantastic experience and I love my sisters, but I would bet a million dollars that by August they are all rocking those Lilly bags! Smart business move Lilly Pulitzer, but I am glad that I don’t have to be a part of it.

July 23, 2010/Reply
  5. gram says:

*theirs, not “there’s”

July 23, 2010/Reply
  6. sarahbee says:

there’s =/= theirs

i love your work but there are SO many mistakes in your writing!

July 24, 2010/Reply
  7. Rory says:

I’m going to join LSU Tiger and take a loook myself–except I’m a DZ. I know 60 year old women who would gladly purchase a Lilly with a sorority-unique print!

July 24, 2010/Reply
  8. Sara says:

You could have blasted the terrible Lilly bag without having to mock the Greek organizations that they’re marketing to. Being in a sorority was an amazing experience and they never “forced” me to do anything. Plus, I bet if you take a good hard look at some of the things you did/said/wore when you were 18, you might rethink some of them, right?

I love your blog for the style tips and fashion. I don’t mind snarkiness, but sometimes you can be really offensive. There are ways to be clever without being rude.

July 24, 2010/Reply
  9. Belle says:

I will explain again: I write these posts quickly, and often very late at night. If you are so upset by the typos, I’m sure there are many local fashion blogs that would love a few new readers.

Love me, love my typos.

July 24, 2010/Reply
  10. Dr. Jean Grey says:

July 26, 2010/Reply
  11. Andrea says:

I absolutely love reading this blog, but can’t say the same about the comments section. Too many people on here like to attack others, starting with the ‘new intern’ posts, and now regarding small grammer mistakes. We are all human, we make mistakes! Why criticize?

July 26, 2010/Reply