Workday Reading

The Commute: No. 6

“At present, our country needs women’s idealism and determination, perhaps more in politics than anywhere else.” — Shirley Chisholm

Raise It Higher. Closing the pay gap starts with you.  The Balance covers how to ask for a raise, how to prepare for the meeting, and what to do if you don’t get it.  Still nervous?  Career Contessa wrote you a script.  You got this.

Wants/Needs. I need to buy groceries this month.  I want to buy this Sandro Malia blouse.  This is called having priorities, aka. The I Am Not Carrie Bradshaw Rule.

Asking For It. A museum is displaying the clothing women wore on the day of their rape.  Proving that what you’re wearing is not a meaningful factor in your sexual assault.

In or Out. Outnet has some great leather goods right now.  I love this croc-effect black pouch that doubles as a clutch.  This Anya Hindmarch biz-card holder is a pure classic.

Crimson Lips. The ladies at Refinery29 tried several “universal red” lipstick shades, this one was the clear winner.

The Friend Zone. Do we really have to be friends with our co-workers?  What happened to just being colleagues?

Boho Sale. Anthropologie’s winter tag sale is on.  This blue beaded necklace and sublime sequin cardigan caught my eye.

Weekend Plans. Need a fun idea for a group gathering?  How about how to throw a hot pot dinner at home?  Sounds way better than a potluck and cheaper than hitting the bar.

Get Cart-ed. I keep putting these leopard kitten-heel booties in my cart, and then walking away.  To buy, or not to buy…

What I’m Eating. Avocado Chicken Salad. (I use more cilantro and a little tomatillo hot sauce.)

What I’m Watching. Sour Grapes, a really interesting documentary about a fraudster selling fake wine.

What I’m Buying. This $10 Easy Tiger daily planner. I fill it out the night before to calm my mind.

{image found here; this post contains affiliate links that generate commission for the author}

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

1. Yael Cohen says:

My favorite long-wearing red lipstick is L’Oreal Infallible Le Rouge. I have it in Ravishing Red and Red Fatale. You have to let it set, but it looks great for hours. Whenever I wear it, people ask about it, and the Nordstrom beauty counter ladies are always taken aback!

January 18, 2018/Reply
  2. thb says:

Great Quote! Thanks Shirley.

January 18, 2018/Reply
  3. anna says:

Preach it, Shirley!

January 18, 2018/Reply
  4. C says:

That hotpot recipe is cringe-inducing “1 tablespoon McCormick® Garlic Powder” No, no, no. And, figure out if you’re making Thai or Chinese before you blog about it.

January 19, 2018/Reply
    • Natalie says:

There is a much nicer way of putting this. No need to be rude.

January 19, 2018/Reply

I didn’t look at the recipe, I thought, what a fun idea for a get together with friends and decided to share it. Why does the meal have to be a deep dive into the cuisine’s culture? Or is it impossible to just make a meal that tastes good without promising an authentic dish? Part of the reason I shared this was because it felt like an affordable alternative to going out for food. If every spice and seasoning has to be authentic, and you need all the authentic tools, that makes this meal pretty expensive. There’s no need to cringe, as I was neither claiming to be an expert on Asian food nor a chef, just a person looking for an affordable way to spend time with friends.

January 19, 2018/Reply
      • C says:

The “you” was not directed toward Abra, but the food blog’s writers. And yes, it’s a great concept, and if they’d presented it as a “way to reproduce something vaguely like hot pot without buying anything authentically Chinese” I would have shrugged it off. It’s mindless approach to appropriation and plugs for products that would lead to sub par results irk me.

January 19, 2018/Reply

That makes more sense.

January 19, 2018/Reply
          • Lil says:

I didn’t read through the recipe but garlic powder offers flavor. Different from fresh garlic but still has a role.

January 20, 2018/Reply
  5. Lil says:

Alas, I don’t think any shade of red lipstick works for me. I have peach/orange skin undertones. Red clashes unflatteringly. Oh, well.

January 20, 2018/Reply
  6. Rachel says:

Those leopard booties are amazing! But kitten heels are the death of my ankles as for some reason I have more trouble le walking in a kitten heel than four inch stilettos.

But I still think you should get them. Leopard is the best!

January 20, 2018/Reply
  7. Megan says:

And here’s your workday ANTI reading. I almost feel bad sharing this because y’all’s pain will be so acute: https://postgradproblems.com/ladies-liberate-yourself-from-the-pencil-skirt/

January 22, 2018/Reply