Every fall, I clean out my dresser drawers. Worn out undergarments, tights, and tanks all make their way into the trash bin, to be replaced by new versions. Refreshing my foundation garments ensures that my bras fit properly, my tights are free of runs, and everything feels and fits like new (or almost new).
1. Hanky Panky Bare Eve Thong ($22). Smooth and sleek under even the tightest-fitting clothes, these are my favorite thong on the market. I also find them to be really comfortable, even after 8+ hours. They also make a smooth boyshort if you’re not a thong-wearer.
Because Hanky Panky underthings are so expensive, I baby them. I use an intimates bag, the delicate cycle, and wash powder. Looking for a less expensive alternative? Hanes makes a similar thong that comes in at $7 per pair.
2. Boyshorts are my ‘sleeping underwear’ of choice. (I don’t know how women sleep in thongs; I cannot do it.) Hanky Panky makes a lace version with a cotton gusset that’s a little nicer than the cotton options. If you’re looking for cotton, Victoria’s Secret makes a nice option (though some of the prints, eek!). Other places to look include Gap, Wet Seal, and Aerie.
3. Spanx. I don’t wear a shaper every day, but I like to have two on hand in case I need them. I like to have a high-waist pair and a simple pair of shorts. Looking for something less snug, but still smoothing? Several readers recommend Jockey Slipshorts.
4. Basic Bras. I used to be one of those women who wore my bras until they fell apart. Then, I realized that when they’re worn out, they don’t fit well. So to give my girls maximum lift, I like to keep my bra selection fresh.
I recommend owning three bras: one flesh-toned racerback (or convertible), one black, and one strapless. Smooth bras can be worn under anything without fear of showing through. This Calvin Klein multi-way bra is a great basic. I also like his mesh-accented t-shirt bra. This Simon Perele bra is a good option. If you want a fully smooth bra, I own this bra from Felina.
If you’re a bustier lady and you have a bra you’d like to recommend, please leave your recommendation in the comments. If you’re on the smaller side, Jean at ExtraPetite recommends Little Bra Co..
5. Tights are a winter-time essential. I like mine thick, the more denier the better. Falke makes a 100 denier tight that I love. Commando makes a nice tight that has a comfort waistband, though I sometimes get a pair that won’t stay up (it’s inexplicable). For an affordable option, Merona makes a 50 denier tight and ASOS makes a 120 denier pair.
6. Tanks that can be worn under sweaters and sheer blouses are an essential. I love these wide-strap, flesh-toned tanks for every day because they cover my bra straps. This one is from Commando, but Nordstrom also makes a nice one. A lace trim tank peeking out from under a v-neck sweater is a pretty little something. I also like this Maidenform tank with a bit of control top.