1) Levo League offers interview hairstyle suggestions. This one has always been my favorite.
2) I am absolutely smitten with the simple, elegant details on this H&M black satchel.
3) Why American Teens Aren’t Working Summer Jobs Anymore.
4) Reiss is hitting it out of the park. I am obsessed with this shawl collar dress for the office. And this sheer-paneled cocktail dress is understated elegance.
5) The twisted history of the ‘Happy Birthday’ song.
6) These Schultz cage sandals are amazing. Good thing these Steve Madden’s have the same look for one-third the price.
7) The ‘no tipping’ culture has expanded to bars, and one restaurant ended tipping and saw profits triple.
8) This Alice + Olivia for Nails, Inc. polish set has every color I want for fall for $25.
9) Why women are more hesitant to ask for raises, and ‘9 things you should never say when asking for a raise.’
*image found here.
I found the article on 9 things you should never say when asking for a raise interesting. As a supervisor, I’ve been approached about this a few times. One employee wanted a raise because she didn’t anticipate the cost of living in XX city would be so high. Another employee said she didn’t think she did a good job negotiating her starting salary. I did not find these arguments convincing.
I once had a coworker who asked for a raise because he’d been moved from an office to a cubicle and found it detrimental to his morale.
I once attempted to negotiate a promotion and raise, and ended up making my boss cry! It turns out he was not negotiating my raise in good faith, so I told him I did not want the promotion, but would take the raise. When I said, “I don’t know who will be doing all that extra work — I guess you” he started to cry.
Obviously, that was a really toxic work environment and a really crappy boss. But I got the raise!
So what exactly are women of color supposed to so with these 5 power hairstyles?
This isn’t an area where I’m qualified to give advice. Maybe some other readers can offer some suggestions.
How are any of these hairstyles racially exclusive? One of the models even has natural hair. Last I checked, you didn’t need to have your hair straightened to wear your hair in a tight bun or low ponytail.
I have that H&M bag. It is a great work bag and never bulges so even when it’s brimming with stuff you look polished!
A counterpoint to “why teens aren’t working summer jobs anymore”:
The NPR article breaks it down that today’s teens would have to work around the clock on top of a full time courseload to make enough money to pay for college. I’m sure there are plenty of teens who are lazy – that’s every generation.
Is college the only reason to have a summer job? Don’t these kids want cars, need to buy gas, have fun money? And since you can’t pay for your entire college education working the summer, you shouldn’t want to earn any money toward the cost? It’s a bit silly to say, “Hey, they can’t pay for college, so why not lay around all summer.”