1) U.S. News has ‘8 Career Tips for Women Who Want to Be The Boss.’
2) This $30 Aldo wallet is surprisingly chic. I love the separate zip-up pouch and storage pocket.
3) Frigid offices, freezing women, oblivious men: A study in the dynamics of AC-cooling and office space.
4) White House Black Market has some amazing belts right now. I adore this slim, cognac belt with a loop detail and this black belt with a wide knot. Want a bit of fall color? This forest green belt is lovely.
5) A Pair and a Spare offers advice on how to e-mail someone you’ve never met (so that they might actually reply).
6) The Vogue September Issue is available for pre-order on Amazon.
7) Olympic teams at the 2016 Rio games will be swimming and boating in raw sewage. (And you thought the Sochi Games had problems.)
8) A metallic, long-sleeved cocktail dress for $1,200. A metallic, long-sleeved cocktail dress for $178. Much better.
9) How we can stop exaggerating our political differences.
10) Boden has the cutest shoes. These red, t-strap flats are great. And these Harper ankle boots, in four fab colors, are perfect for fall.
11) On TV cop dramas, detectives use ViCAP to catch rapists. In reality, fewer than 1 out of 12 police departments use the system. ProPublica digs into the details.
12) This printed navy and mauve blouse from Anthropologie is the definition of relaxed chic. I also like this lace-dipped sweatshirt (very pretty).
13) I love Birchbox for getting monthly beauty samples. I want to try the PopSugar Box, which offers a wider selection of full-size beauty products and fashion accessories. Rachel Zoe’s ‘Box of Style’ also caught my eye. Do you subscribe to any monthly boxes that you like?
*image found here.
Not a beauty box, but now that you have Avery, can I recommend Barkbox? We found we love having a variety of toys/treats (and now we’ve stopped buying those things at the pet store)
Giggling Gourmand says:
Love love love barkbox!
I subscribe to Birchbox, Raw Spice Bar, Little Lace Box, and Rachel Zoe’s Box of Style (November will be my first RZ box). I have in the past subscribed to PopSugar and Beauty Fix.
I really like Birchbox for the points. I will probably cancel Raw Spice Bar, because I’m a vegetarian and their recipes are very meat-centric. PopSugar has on and off months. I like getting the box, but end up not using most of the stuff I get, so I cancelled.
I am way too into sub boxes apparently.
I used to subscribe to BirchBox, Ipsy, and Beauty Army. BirchBox was my least favorite. Now I subscribe to Petit Vour because I try to buy cruelty-free items and all of their items are cruelty-free and vegan. I have liked 95% of all the products that have come in Petit Vour boxes.
I subscribe to Birchbox and PopSugar and love them both. I agree that PopSugar has on and off months, but I find I use stuff I don’t necessarily want in the PopSugar boxes as hostess gifts or small thank you presents. It’s great to always have a stock of small gifts on hand.
I subscribe to popsugar and have tried other boxes over the years but I’ve stayed with popsugar. They typically have a great value and have enough things I like. Like any box sometimes it’s a miss. If you want to wait that long, in the past they have had pretty good deals around Black Friday that make the cost of the box much more reasonable (if you want to do a longer term sub). I also just joined Rachel Zoe for the fall style box.
In the past I’ve done julep maven, ipsy and fabletics. If you’re curious about boxes (I’m sure you’ve probably already come across this ) but mysubscriptionaddiction is a great resource – your blog and hers are the only 2 I have bookmarked ☺️
I have been loving Birchbox for their monthly plus options and how easy to it is to rack up points. The other thing I use is Stitchfix.com. I am obsessed with it so far!
I just checked out Petit Vour based on Niki’s comment- it looks fantastic! I have been looking for a subscription service that carries conscious/chemical free items. I think I will subscribe!
Awesome! I have been really happy with the products and have bought them at full price outside of the box (Meow Meow Tweet deodorant, Lily and Lolo mascara, SW Basics stuff). The nail polishes are full size, the MMT deodorant was full size, same with the mascara. For $15, it’s a great box.
Hey, I’m thinking of subscribing. Do you get points or something if I say you referred me? If so, tell me your code. 🙂
I loved PopSugar until I got a new job and they increased the price and couldn’t afford it anymore. It has great months and off months, but it was GREAT for re-gifting. You definitely get your money’s worth with the box. I like it the best when there are books and full-sized snacks. My favorite products have been a turkish towel, a Wet Brush, the new Emily Giffin book, full-sized malin and goetz face wash, a full-sized Too Faced Palette, among others
That Olympic article is horrendous. I can’t believe anyone would think it was still acceptable to go ahead with the games there.
The Rachel Zoe Box of Style is the best one that I receive. It is predictably awesome – and none of the filler throw-aways that come in most boxes. I also like my Fun, Fit, Fab box, which is run by Giuliana Rancic. Quarterly has some great options, too – like Nina Garcia, Rosario Dawson, and Grace Bonney from Design Sponge.
Not sure if it is available in the US, it maybe UK only right now, but I subscribe to My Little Box, by a French company, they include full size beauty products and other cute little accessories / gifts, and the boxes themselves are lovely. Definitely a fun thing to get every month!
I love, absolutely positively head over heals love, the Allure box. They renamed it this month and I hope it stays as good. I found two holy grail items through it, the Water Sleep Mask by Laneige and Cotz sunscreen. I was super excited to find an all mineral sunscreen that applies easily and looks good by itself and my skin is incredible the morning after I use it (twice a week). Highly recommend both those items and the subscription!
Meant to say the mask is what I use twice a week. Didn’t proofread, difficult on my phone. Sorry!