1) It’s the New Year, and I’m thinking a lot about professional next steps. These quotes from successful women are enough to keep anyone motivated for the journey ahead.
2) This $49 berry-colored satchel from Liz Claiborne adds a sophisticated pop of color to any outfit.
3) Meet Elise Stefanik, a 30-year-old mover and shaker who is the youngest woman serving in the House of Representatives. #girlpower
4) The Limited’s new arrivals can be worn now and in the spring. I love this dark mauve dress and jacket set (also in petite and tall). I love these wide leg pants in pale pink (try them with a black boatneck sweater). This muted-indigo business suit is a great (GREAT) buy for someone looking for an inexpensive 2nd interview suit.
5) The publisher of a Pennsylvania paper wants her reporters to stop cursing in the newsroom. She also took away their Mountain Dew. If you’ve ever worked at a newspaper, you know that this cannot end well.
6) Love midi-skirts? This pleated sunburst skirt from Halogen is super-chic. I also line this simple black pencil-style skirt. The Halogen skirt comes in plus-sizes as well.
7) A former SCOTUS clerk talks about the lessons that Ruth Bader Ginsburg taught him about balancing work and fatherhood.
8) I’m on the hunt for new blazers and this satin, peplum number from Topshop caught my eye. I also like this leather trim blazer from Piperlime. And if you’re looking for a cheap thrill, this teal blazer from Forever21 is chic and trendy.
9) Frequent fliers will laugh at The Cooper Review’s satirical take on Delta’s new seating plan.
10) Speaking of traveling, I took this Air Repair Kit from Target on my recent trip and it’s the happiest that my skin has ever been while traveling. I may start using their Complexion Quenching Facial Mist every day.
11) Do you have a ‘orphan 401k’? Why the retirement account you left behind may be dwindling, and what you can do about it.
12) This stretch jersey dress is the perfect thing for a not-so-casual Friday when you need to be comfortable, but office-appropriate.
*image found here.
Yikes, if you’re pale that “sunburst” skirt viewed at a quick glance would make it look like you’re wearing nothing but underwear! Hard pass.
The tips from top women bosses made me think of a time I decided to opt for “listening” instead of talking in meetings. I think I had gotten the vibe from one of my coworkers that I always had an opinion. I remember my manager asking me why I was so quiet, and I told him I was practicing my listening. He told me, well I don’t want you to just listen, I want to hear what you have to say. It’s nice to work for a manager that appreciates you, ha!
I like midi skirts that are just below the knee, but I don’t wear heels often and wonder if I can pull them off in flats with my fairly muscular calves. Or is it kind of a rule for midi skirts that you need heels?
As someone with muscular calves, it’ll be mighty tough to pull off a below the knee skirt with flats.
Kelly AndThenBlog says:
Love the RBG/SAHD story. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
As someone who works in a TV newsroom the no cursing thing is nearly impossible. It’s totally tanked my out of work vocabulary, but it’s a good stress reliever! I feel terrible for her employees!!
Shopping from the hospital and any passthrough links (like the ones linking through to the stretch jersey dress) are blocked. Could someone give me the website and description so I can go looky look for myself? So tempting!
Kelly AndThenBlog says:
The Outnet, Iris and Ink Ciara dress
I love the link in #9. Economy #2: The Reckoning = hilarious.
Limited is having a great promotion right now – purchase any full price item, get the next one 50% off, plus $20 off every $60 spent, plus free shipping. I just got a new suit for $127. I’m so very pleased. Thanks, Belle!