Belle’s Workday Reading: January 7, 2015
Jan 7, 2015
1) A new year means lists of career advice are populating websites everywhere. Fast Company has five pieces of common career advice to avoid. U.S. News has a few more from the editor of Ask a Manager.
3) I laughed out loud when a reader sent me this old Bloomberg article on the best shoes for professional women (it praises everything I preach against). My must haves? The MK Flex Pump in round or pointed-toe and the BP Moreover Flat.
4) Oh, La Petite Robe, why must you make such beautiful dresses?
5) Planning to negotiate for a raise? SBS offers tips on how to make your pitch more successful. But before you step into the room, don’t forget to research what the industry standard is so you’re not over or under valuing yourself.
7) J.Crew brought back their Cece Ballet Flat. Shoppers initially rejoiced, until they saw how the company had changed the shoe, but not the price.
8) I had a request for leather laptop bags. (Word of warning, feminine leather laptop bags are not cheap.) I use this Rebecca Minkoff Knocked Up Baby Bag with leather trim. I also love this Lodis Audrey Brera bag.
9) Some career advice from the “girl bosses” of the fashion industry.
10) Fighting under-eye puffiness and fine lines? This Benefit Puff-Off under-eye treatment really works. I was surprised how much smoother my under-eye concealer (best one ever!) looked when I used it.
11) Levo League has an interesting take on how to use your resume to emphasize the importance of your education. It’s an interesting take in a world where experience is said to trump your degree.
12) This simple, short-sleeve white dress from White House Black Market is a must. I can think of dozens of ways to wear it now, and in the spring.
*image found here