1) WhoWhatWear has an interesting tip for how to wear high heels without pain, and it’s one I haven’t heard before. Daily Mail also has some tips for walking well, and comfortably, in heels. Need a video tutorial? This one from the Oprah show is still my favorite.
My best tip? Don’t overreach. The baby giraffe walk is not cute, so if 4″+ is intimidating, bring it down. I love a 2.5 or 2 7/8 inch heel. They give some height, but don’t devastate your feet or your balance. Need a <3″ shoe? I love my Valentina pumps (25%-off with code GETWARM). For something under-$100, try these Sole Society pumps in leopard or black.
3) For this week’s affordable handbag, we have a chic hobo bag from The Limited. It comes in three neutral shades and has a sleek shape.
4) Having trouble maximize your time? Lifehacker advises you to think of seconds as dollars in something called the Magic Bank Account theory. It’s an interesting idea.
5) Forever21 has some cute blouses right now. I love the modern look of this white blouse; it’s very Phillip Lim. The rhinestone cuffs on this white blouse are fun. And do not miss this chevron-print button-up, it’s sublime. Plus-size? This crochet-front top has a lovely mix of textures.
6) Forbes has an eye-catching, thought-provoking article about how women start new jobs filled with ambition (more ambition than men) only to watch it fade.
I’ve definitely experienced this. A new job brings hope of reaching the top, then internal politics, disappointments, and life changes deflate it. I’ve found that focusing on doing great work each week and thinking about future plans less helps maintain focus and drive.
7) Looking for work basics? I’m kind of loving this sleek business suit from Ann Taylor. I also like this tailored tweed jacket from The Limited. And this bateau-neck dress from WHBM is definitely worth a look.
8) How do we get women over the mid-career hump? No surprises here, mentoring.
9) Looking for a way to pump up your makeup for after-work parties? This Clinique palette offers four different color combos for creating “party eyes, made easy.”
10) Remember Tupperware parties? Read the story of how one entrepreneurial woman built an empire out of plastic storage containers. (Her name is Brownie Wise, you can’t make this stuff up.)
11) Piperlime is killing me with jaw-droppingly-beautiful things. This Minkoff coat…wow, but not affordable. I also like these snakeskin flats for casual days or commuting. And this $69 textured pencil skirt has all the appeal of a basic with a little something extra.
12) I’m thinking about doing an end-of-year fundraiser. I thought maybe CHS readers could raise money for a female-oriented charity, maybe Malala Fund or Vital Voices (I looked for a U.S.-focused charity and couldn’t find one.). I also thought about a funding group like Mercy Corps, but I’m open to suggestions.
I think a site like GoFundMe is the best thing for transparency. So I’d like a) suggestions for charities, and b) opinions about which crowdfunding site is best.