1) NPR has a great article on women in STEM careers, the unique challenges they face, and why “leaning in” isn’t right for everyone. It also contains advice from a senior Caltech engineer that would be helpful to any career woman, “Bemoaning your fate is not going to solve the problem,” she says. “One has to move forward.”
2) This week’s under-$50 bag combines the femininity of Kate Spade’s bows with a modern shape. It’s just girly enough.
3) Last week, I featured an article about desirable second careers. This week, I read a wonderful article about octogenarians who are still killing it in their original professions.
5) Forbes has a list of the most ridiculous excuses ever used for skipping work. The best on I ever heard? The intern who borrowed his girlfriend’s car and couldn’t drive to work because he didn’t know how to adjust the seat or mirrors.
7) 29 Brilliant Business Cards (I love the chef’s cheese grater card.)
8) I love little pouches for organizing my bags and purses, but what some of these brands charge is a scandal. Luckily, One Kings Lane has some chic options at affordable prices. I love this set with a charcoal geometric print, and these pouches with a whimsical (but not gaudy) floral. Also, if you need a chic, simple keychain, this metallic leather keychain comes in gold or silver.
9) The Washington Post talks about a Pew Research poll, which found that women who want successful careers should look for a conscientious partner.
10) Target has some nice pieces right now. If you work in a creative office, this faux-leather tuxedo jacket comes in four great colors (also in petite sizes). This $30 ruched dress with a boatneck is a great day-to-night option. I also found these inexpensive mid-height heels that are the perfect basic.
11) An economics teacher shared his best advice with his students, it may comprise everything a person needs to know.
12) My skin always flares up around this time of the year. I turn the heat on in my apartment, and the dry air just throws everything out of balance. The solution? This lemony clay mask (really reduces inflammation) and a humidifier that isn’t ugly.