Belle’s Workday Reading: October 22, 2014
Oct 22, 2014
1) Esquire magazine is running with a piece about what’s wrong in Congress, straight from the mouths of 90 Congressmen. Want a better legislative branch? I believe that improvement will take three things: higher voter turnout, competitive primaries filled with new talent, and redistricting via algorithm to create fewer “safe” seats.
Some people advocate for term limits, but I believe that we already have term limits. They’re called elections. If we had the three things listed above, members would have to be more accountable and work harder to keep their seats.
3) 28 Things You Should Never Say to Your Boss. (There are always exceptions, but the list provides food for thought.)
5) A judge refused to postpone a hearing because the attorney was on maternity leave. Unable to find other childcare, she brought the baby to court with her (she was dealing with a set of somewhat extreme circumstances).
6) Have you heard about Mango’s new Violeta line? The pieces are available in sizes 8 to 22, and they are phenomenal. There are more than a few pieces that I wish were available in my size. This grey herringbone dress is a modern work option. This navy dress would be lovely for a cocktail party. This leather and ponte skirt is also a winner, and don’t miss this white top with a gorgeous embroidered hem.
7) WSJ has an article about what your decision-making skills say about your happiness. So are you a maximizer, a satisfier, or something in between?
8) If you love makeup hues with a hint of sophistication, this Bobbi Brown eye and lip palette is a must. It has a mix of gorgeous taupes, neutrals and roses. Need a drugstore option? This BR Makeup color kit is a good option.
9) The CEO of The Container Store pays his employees an average of $50,000 per year. He advocates for what he calls the “1=3 rule,” the idea that one qualified, satisfied, well-paid employee is equal to three lower-paid, less-qualified ones.
10) I hit Nordstrom’s under-$50 jewelry section every few weeks to see if there are any lust-worthy items. This week, I found these Nadri bar earrings in a mix of gold and hematite (also in a totally cool inside-out hoop). You can never go wrong with a long, link necklace. And don’t miss this chic statement ring in shades of gold and grey.
11) Oscar de la Renta has dressed every first lady since Jackie Kennedy. On Monday, he passed away at age 82. So I thought I would share this fabulous article about the fashion advice OdlR gave to Hillary Clinton.